Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Too low voltage between bed heater pins, bed won't warm up (Sangui1.3a,ATX)

Posted by Gara 
Too low voltage between bed heater pins, bed won't warm up (Sangui1.3a,ATX)
June 30, 2012 12:12PM
The problem: When turning on the extruder heater, and measuring voltages directly at the out-PINs of my sanguinololu, the extruder heater voltage reads 12.08V, but the bed heater reads a puny 6 to 9 millivolts and oscillates between those 2 values. Consequence: Extruder heats fine, bed doesn't.

I'm using a ATX1 260W PSU without dummy load yet.
I was thinking if it were the dummy load problem, the extruder heater should have a faulty voltage as well, but since it's working fine, I'm wondering what it could be.

I just installed my first heatbed, so it is also kinda unlikely that I have already blown the MOSFET....

Also: Resistance on both extruder heater and bed heater "+ to ground" lines (measured at the boards pins) are roughly the same at ~1kOhm, so I guess I also haven't shorted the pins while soldering.

Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 12:13PM by Gara.
Re: Too low voltage between bed heater pins, bed won't warm up (Sangui1.3a,ATX)
June 30, 2012 01:37PM
First off, a 260W ATX PSU will not provide enough current on the 12V line to power the heated bed. I would expect the extruder voltage to drop when the bed is turned on if everything else is working correctly though.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Re: Too low voltage between bed heater pins, bed won't warm up (Sangui1.3a,ATX)
June 30, 2012 02:01PM
The PSU is rated for continuous output of 17A on 12V, which subtracting the 5A for the steppers+extruder, should give 12A for the bed, which is close but should suffice. Also, this problem should only arise if all of those are powered simultaneously. When I tested though, it was one at a time, ie extruder/steppers off when measuring heater voltage.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login