Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Howto test my Sanguinololu board

Posted by toreil 
Howto test my Sanguinololu board
July 16, 2012 05:50PM
Hi.
Just finished building my Sanguinololu to the reprap project.
Have downloaded the reprap control sw, and powered the board up,
It registers in win7 ac com4, have edited the reprap.properties.dist to point to com4
have connected the x-axis stepper, and run a test via the contr.program,..but nothing happens
also tried to short the x endstop with seme result
I can feel the the stepper got power, as it is 'locked'
Got a 17HD0004 stepper and wired yellow +red and gray+green

question.. Is the a way to check if the Atmega 1248 is running, I have bought it with preinstalled bootloader and firmware
(from botronicz), or any other tests that con be done ??

Thankful for anny tip that can set me on the right track..

Tore
Re: Howto test my Sanguinololu board
July 17, 2012 02:48PM
How it is tested will be based on what firmware you supposedly have loaded on the chip. Someone with experience with that firmware can then chime in. I know with Teacup when I was trying to diagnose a serial issue I just modified the startup code to send output through the port - but someone may know built-in ways to diagnose.
July 17, 2012 05:19PM
Hi

For info its the Sprinter firmware that is preloaded,,

tore
July 18, 2012 12:08PM
Just as a sanity check - have you been through these?

Sprinter docs (obviously light):

[reprap.org]

Configuration Video:

[www.youtube.com]

One thing I'd definitely try is to use Hyperterminal (if on windows) and connect to the port assigned (com4 in your case) and connect at the baud rate in your config file. When you hit the reset button it is likely you will see something appear on the line - this will prove your chip is active. Somone who knows your firmware better can tell you exactly what should come out when it boots - I'm betting something should be transmitted to the host when it boots, or in response to something sent to it. I'm not quite sure how to type in GCODEs correctly in Hyperterminal - but that is how your printer software talks to the printer.

Have you verified all the basic stuff like baud rate, parity, etc?
July 19, 2012 11:04AM
Hi,
The settings are 57600, n,8,1, no Flow.
When testing it with hyperterm , It gives a line with characters,
Do I need a special driver for the card ??

tore
July 19, 2012 11:30AM
toreil
When testing it with hyperterm , It gives a line with characters,
Do I need a special driver for the card ??

Are the characters completely non-sensical? However, I would say that if within a second or two of pressing reset you get these characters - then you have your original question answered - your chip is functioning and it thinks its driving something onto the serial port.

When you say special driver for the card, what card are you talking about? I've been assuming that you are trying to connect using the USB off of the board?

I did this myself but don't know if it was actually necessary (might be built into later versions of Windows) - but I downloaded drivers for the chip:

[www.ftdichip.com]

If you didn't do this but the COM port was automatically detected, then perhaps you already had the drivers. If this is not what you were talking about - then please clarify.

I wouldn't expect output to make sense to you, but it also shouldn't look like complete garbage.

Do you have the ability to load your own bootloader? If not, you may want to get that ability going - this is what I use:

[reprap.org]

This gives you the ability to put newer bootloader versions on and actually modify it yourself (which is what I did as a test to verify that the chip and USB connection were functional - added code to write "Im Alive" to the computer).

Did you buy your board or build it? If built, did you test your COMs early like they advised? (you can put a jumper wire in to loop back receive to transmit so hyperterminal can be used to allow you to type, and if you see what you type you know its working).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login