Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to add a fan to sanguinololu?

Posted by pdesigns 
how to add a fan to sanguinololu?
August 08, 2012 05:53PM
Hi.
I´m building my first reprap, almost finished and only missing the linear bearings, and tanks for all the tutorials that helped me so far.

But here is my question:

i´m trying to understand how to add a fan to my prusa air with the sanguinololu 1.3a , but i cannot find something that tells me how to do it,
in a more or less explicit way...

I was considering a fan on the extruder to use when printing pla (no need for abs right?)

I was also considering one to cool the sanguinololu board, but don't now if its really necessary. i added two heatsinks on the mosfet,
and also have them on the stepper drivers.

Can anyone help me or tell me where to look?

Tanks
Re: how to add a fan to sanguinololu?
August 09, 2012 03:44AM
The most simple way to add a fan is to connect it directly to the power supply. If you want one which can be turned on and off by software, a SevenSwitch is one of the possible solutions.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 09, 2012 05:39PM
Ok.

Tanks for the tip, i will look into the sevenswitch, a see if i can make one.
August 09, 2012 07:58PM
August 10, 2012 09:18AM
Looks like I have someone new to follow Nophead! Mine's bigger than yours, but I've got some TSOP's coming in today! ;-)
August 12, 2012 05:01AM
Fan just needs 2 pins and can plug into any of the spare 2 pin headers on the sanguino board. I use 40mm PC fans and just cut off the third wire

August 12, 2012 05:58AM
Most people only turn it on after the first layer, so it needs control in that case.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 12, 2012 07:42AM
ok. tanks for the input, i started looking at it, but this week i received the last parts for the printer so now i´m just trying to calibrate.
had to redo the soldering in the endstops. now i have the x and y moving in the wrong direction...oh well, at least the z axis stops at the endstop...

this week i will have time to look at the references above and sort the fan options..
August 20, 2012 05:08PM
I'd be a bit cautious just plugging the fan directly onto the power rails on the board - and for god's sake don't plug directly into the control lines.
October 12, 2012 06:31PM
[www.thingiverse.com]

i bought a kit from this guy didnt hook it up yet, but seems pretty clear. I just didnt start reassining the pins i heared somewhere there was a problem with marlin and connecting drivers for fans
October 16, 2012 05:14PM
I am working on an upgrade board to add a 5th pololu and additional thermistor and hot end for dual extruder. I have also incorporated circuitry into this for a controllable fan, which hopefully should work nicely with Marlin firmware. Fan is controlled by a mosfet and also has a 4th pin for the newer PWM fans (that will probably require some additional firmware development).

I am going to post the design soon, and will also do a limited run of boards (probably about 30 units). If there is demand I can surely make more.
April 13, 2013 10:26AM
Hi guys, this is exactly what I did, I just put it in between one of the stepper-connections. The fan runs fine and continuous, halfway into a print, I wonder how it will come out in the end smiling smiley

I guess this is safe to do on a Sanguino?

NelsonRap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fan just needs 2 pins and can plug into any of the
> spare 2 pin headers on the sanguino board. I use
> 40mm PC fans and just cut off the third wire
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login