Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2nd Extruder Upgrade for rev 1.3a ?

Posted by Chri 
2nd Extruder Upgrade for rev 1.3a ?
August 10, 2012 05:33AM
I like the sanguino 1.3a Board, especially because of the very low price compared to ramps and other electronics smileys with beer

there is only one thing that the board is missing to be a real competitior to the Ramps 1.4 board, its the lack of supporting a second extruder sad smiley

Does anyone know if someone already made an "upgrade option" for the board ?
Maybe even with still the capability to use the panelolu and SDSL?

mfg Chri

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2012 06:22AM by Chri.
Re: 2nd Extruder Upgrade for rev 1.3a ?
August 10, 2012 06:11AM
One of the design goals of Sanguinololu is apparently to be single-PCB. A similar one with additional extruder support is the Melzi. Gen7 is feature-comparable to Sanguinololu, plus an extension header allowing a second extruder.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 10, 2012 06:20AM
Hmm, i just checked the melzi wiki page, can`t find any infos for additional extruder support ?
Melzi also seems to be still in very early developement, no buyable version yet ? (price?)

the Sanguino board also does have an extension header ? so then the "addons" for melzi/gen7 maybe should also work on sanguino ?

mfg Chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
August 10, 2012 06:20AM
I think panelolu and SDSL use all the spare I/O on a Sanguinololu so I don't think you can add another extruder as well. The I/O is limited by the 40pin chip.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 10, 2012 07:30AM
hmm, so no pin left ?

If one pin is left it would be an idea to make a "switchboard" for the two extruders, so the Extrudercable from the sanguino goes to the switchboard where both extrudersteppers are connected and then a relais switch between the to steppers ?

should be not to much hardware work to do, but don`t know how much software work it will be.

mfg Chri

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
August 10, 2012 08:15AM
A relay would probably destroy the stepper drivers because it momentarily disconnects and would create a spark. Also you want to hold the motors position when it is not extruding.

For two full extruders you also need temperature control. I.e. an analog input and a PWM pin.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 07, 2017 02:28PM
Hi all, I am trying to find a solution to this problem also, but not being an electronics wizard I am at a bit of a loss. So far I have found an add on board design for the driver intended for the ramps board, I figure that the 12v,the 5v and negative are not a problem e.g straight from the power supply leaving the Step, Enable and Direction to deal with. My tiny brain is wondering if the "enable and direction" wires would tag onto the underside existing E extruder stepper pins as both extruders are identical and the step wire to connect to the pwm pin on the expansion pins and then configure the pins.h file accordingly (as in adding the same board to the ramps) this raises the question which pin numbers should I use for Step Direction and Enable. Please can one of you techies help or am I just a silly old dog barking up the wrong tree and if I try the above is it likely to blow something leaving me with nothing. I have successfully made a single nozzle dual filament extruder and mount for my i3 printer but would like to use my existing board to control either a mixing or single colour combination i.e. one extruder or both together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login