Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y stepper not working, I think command tries to move x stepper

Posted by Just_Colin 
Y stepper not working, I think command tries to move x stepper
September 06, 2012 01:50PM
Hello all

I can control the x and z steppers but not the Y. When executing a Y command I can feel and hear a humming from the X stepper as if its trying to move, and I have only 'rarely 'gotten a humming sound from the Y stepper, but no movement, and typically I dont get any response from it.

I've got a reprap huxley with a Sanguinololu board. Everything's connected up and it kinda talks to the computer. I use pronterface.py to control the unit, and have managed to get the 'GET POS, ECHO etc buttons' on the software.

I've swapped the X and Y wires around and can move the Y stepper with the x commands, but then the X stepper doesn't respond, and I get a humming noise (no movement) from the Y stepper. So the motors work fine

I adjusted the potentiometer for the Y stepper when it was connected to the Y Pololu stepper drivers and tried movement with no results. And also when connecting it to the X stepper drivers (so I could control the Y stepper with the X commands) and adjusted the current to the Y stepper to create a nice movement. But this had no effect when reconnecting the wires to the Y driver. And the endstops all work, Ive tested them all by pressing them mid movement causing the stepper to stop.

I'm guessing it's either the software not working properly with the Y commands or the stepper driver is buggered.

I measured the current exiting the pins towards the X and Y stepper with a multimeter when executing movement commands to compare the differences. They seem to be in reverse of each other, and would send signals for the x fine, then suddenly stop sending and I would have to reset or turn the motors off to get it to start sending the commands again :s randomly without executing commands the x would have a reading of 43 (I think 43V, it was on 43 under AC V setting on the 50 position)

OK so overall the Y stepper isnt working, and I'm stumped big time. Do you think its the software messing up the Y commands, I'm not sure how to alter the Y command signal other than the potentiometer?

I'm no expert, but am willing to put in the time
Re: Y stepper not working, I think command tries to move x stepper
September 07, 2012 06:15AM
I've ordered a new Pololu stepper driver board for the Y-stepper motor. Does anyone have any advice for replacing it?

It's pretty well soldered to the board, Will it involve removing the solder at all of the pins, then carefully replacing it with the new driver and re-resoldering it, I don't want to try and force it off incase 'i break it'

Meanwhile I'm going to reverse the Y and Z connections and calibrate the board height and temperature, making sure its all level and try to print a 2D structure, mabey a thin film sad smiley
September 07, 2012 01:57PM
Um, your stepper drivers shouldn't be soldered in. They should be socketed and relatively easy to remove.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 08, 2012 08:57AM
I've just removed the stepper drive by pulling it out, thanks

Before hand I didn't want to force it, and was trying to remove it from the base of the chip as opposed to removing the enrtire unit. The first thing I did was check the price of the entire board, frankly I dont want to bugger it up :s

I'll update on the progress when I try and put the new driver in.
September 08, 2012 12:41PM
Replaced the Y stepper driver and it works smiling smiley

However now its the next problem...

Manually commanding any of the axis to move is fine for only a few commands, then the humming noise continues and no other commands work.

I either have to turn the motors off and on, disconnect and reconnect the unit, or press the home button to get movement again.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Meanwhile I'll check this forum for the same issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login