Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motors will only move one way

Posted by aplgeek 
Motors will only move one way
January 30, 2013 06:15PM
I had the printer up and almost running about a week ago but one of my stepper drivers was dead. I replaced it and when i turned the printer back on the motors only run in one direction. I am in pronterface for Mac. So for the Z axis I can move it up with no problem but if try to move it down it just makes a humming sound and doesn't move. After i hit the done button and the motors stop humming if I hit the UP button the motors just hum like they do when I hit down. The only way to get them to move back up is that I have to reset the printer. This happens on all the axis and the extruder. I am using the Sprinter firmware on it and I have re-uploaded all the code and that didn't help. I have also tried changing the variable resistor on it but it doesn't seem to help at all. I am using a Sanguino 1.3A with Stepstick A4988. The hot plate and the extruder both heat up fine and the end stops do stop the motors when they hit them.
Re: Motors will only move one way
January 30, 2013 06:40PM
Do you have your end stops installed and working?

Roy
January 30, 2013 07:37PM
Yes the end stops are plugged in and i believe they are working. They are in the same way they where before when it worked.
January 31, 2013 02:05AM
aplgeek
I had the printer up and almost running about a week ago but one of my stepper drivers was dead. I replaced it...

If you just replaced your stepper driver then you need to set the current properly.
Too low and it won't move, too high is also not good as it causes a thermal shutdown.

Either adjust it to the proper voltage 0,4v (See nopheads blog/posts) or turn it full CCW give the command to move the axis and then slowly turn it CW until it starts moving and then just a little bit further.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Having same issue as --> Re: Motors will only move one way
January 31, 2013 11:18AM
My X-Y-Z only move in one direction.
I have the min- endstops (mech not opto) installed.
and when i install both min and max, they don't move at all. I get an error stating that endstops have been triggered.
I'm using and EBAY purchased Arduino Mega clone and RAMPS 1.4, also form ebay-china.
I'm using MARLIN for PRINTRBOT, as my ALUMA-STRAP is basically a PRINTRBOT, made out of a 16" long piece of 2"x2" aluminum square tubing for the base.
I'm at work, with out access to my stuff, so i can't post my config h file settings.

HW: RAMPS 1.4
FW: Marlin for PRITRBOT
GUI: Prontoface
February 01, 2013 12:16AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> If you just replaced your stepper driver then you
> need to set the current properly.
> Too low and it won't move, too high is also not
> good as it causes a thermal shutdown.

Thanks it took a while but it was very picky of where it wanted it to be to move the motors but I was able to get the problem fixed. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login