Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with Sanguinololu trouble shooting

Posted by roygpa 
Need help with Sanguinololu trouble shooting
February 07, 2013 09:48AM
I thought I would improve my soldering skills by purchasing a Sanguinololu 1.3a kit and assembling it myself using the Reprap.org page as a guide. The assembly went pretty well until I soldered the voltage regulator 7805 on backwards and had to take it off and reverse it. After completion, I hooked it up to my computer and was able to install a Sprinter sketch to run my printer. After disconnecting the computer I hooked to board up to a 30 amp 12 volt power supply, thinking that the LED would light up on the Sanguinololu to let me know I soldered everything OK.
Well the LED did not light up and it appeared that the power supply turned off (light on supply went out) like there might be a short on the Sanguinololu.. No magic blue smoke from the Sanguinololu or the motor drivers. I disconnected the power supply to make sure it was OK and its Led lit up and I checked to make sure it was putting out 12 volts and it was.

I have since checked and re-checked every pad that I soldered and they all seem to be fine, except the 7805 voltage regulator which I am not so sure of. I have order some new 7805s and when they arrive, I will replace the one on the board.

My question is, how would you troubleshoot this problem and try to get the Sanguinololu working?
Do you think I fried the board or some component on it? Everything looks fine, no burn makrs.

Thanks in advance for your help.
VDX
Re: Need help with Sanguinololu trouble shooting
February 07, 2013 10:21AM
... with the 7805 off you can attach 5V from an external PS to test the electronics ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Need help with Sanguinololu trouble shooting (Solved I think)
February 08, 2013 08:47AM
I replaced the 7805, but also found a couple cold joints, most notably the negative lead attached to the board. Still not sure what was causing the short if I wasn't even getting 12 volts where it was supposed to be. I now have 12 volts where it is supposed to be and 5 volts at least as far as the LED. I will check more joints today.
February 11, 2013 01:44PM
Over the weekend I successfully released quite a bit of the magic blue smoke contained in the Heat bed Mosfet. Not just once but twice. I stupidly did not check the maximum amperage draw (20 amps) on the QU-BD silicone 300 x 300 mm bed heater. I think the mosfet is now stuck permanently "on" but that doesn't matter much since I have to find a different way to control the heated bed. Live and learn from my mistakes. I know how to replace the mosfet if it is stuck on.

I was also able to get all 4 of the pololu motors drivers adjusted and working on the Y, Z axes and the extruder but not on the X axis. With a driver properly adjusted on the Y and then placed on the X all the motor would do was make a clicking sound when pronterface was connected to the board and then again when disconnected. I traced and retraced and re-soldered all connections to the X axis a couple times and re-check them all with a multimeter as best I could to no avail. i also re-installed sprinter and that did not help. I am hoping the problem is something with Sprinter that I just haven't figured out.

In the mean time, I ordered another (assembled this time) Sanguinololu and I should have a rumba board coming one of the these days from Reprapdiscount.
February 19, 2013 09:55PM
Suggest that you change the Mosfets to IRF2804. These have a very low on resistance and I have them switching 22 amps with just a small heatsink. Watch that your power supply can provide sufficient current without the voltage dropping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login