Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguino 1.3a and 300 W Power Supply won't work !!!

Posted by dldk1606 
Sanguino 1.3a and 300 W Power Supply won't work !!!
February 17, 2013 11:54AM
Hallo everybody,

I'm new an have a few questions/
I'm working on a Prusa i3.
I've purchased an unassambled Sanguinololu 1.3a, soldered and assembled with succeess , i think. There is a picture of it.

Sanguino is recognizing over USB and the Control LED is on. All right. I have assembled an ATX 4 Pin 12V on it and (as written on the Sanguino Page) the Voltage Regulator installed. Here is the original Message.

(Important Note
It has been brought to my attention in IRC (thanks Kliment & tonokip) that the 5V coming from the ATX power supply may not be as stable and at 5V as one could hope. It would be better practice here to instead of using the 4-Pin hard-drive connector use the 4-pin ATX connector and the Voltage Regulator. The 4xATX connector will still provide enough power for the board.One could even forgo the voltage regulator and power the logic side of the board strictly by USB, the power side by 12V ATX4. )

I have an older ATX Power Supply from Enlight. The Input and Output is show on the picture below.

If i set the 12V 4Pin ATX and the 5V over USB the Power Supply won't start. i tried it with Stepperdriver and without a motor attached. I tried without a stepperdriver as well or with a couple of motors attached to it.. if i attach a Motor the Stepperdriver is getting hot, the other driver are only warm but the Power Supply won't work.

Is the Power Supply good enough for the Printer ? And has it enough Power ? Like described on the Power supply Site i have atteched the green Line to one of the black because it's an older ATX Supply.
Can anyone give me a reply what to do ?

Thanks in advance

Daniel
Re: Sanguino 1.3a and 300 W Power Supply won't work !!!
February 17, 2013 03:16PM
It seems that we have the same problem. I am using a 30A 12V PSU, and I am unable to move the steppers as well.

Your PSU might have a hard time keeping up with the extruder and the board, as 10A does not seem like enough, but someone else migh disagree.

My issue: [forums.reprap.org]
February 17, 2013 04:19PM
Hi again,

i get the power supply to respond. But as you write, i can't get the motors to move now. My new problem is that i can't connect to the sanguino. I tried with pronterface and arduino software. I also tried the old 0.23 version and installed the ftdi driver. The ftdi respond in Windows and is on COM3. But i can't connect and get a timeout all the way.

My ATMEGA 1284p has a preinstalled bootloader and Marlin on it.

Any ideas ?

Regards
Daniel
February 17, 2013 06:25PM
Make sure there are no stale "avrdude" tasks running. Task manager will help to kill them.

Also it looks like setting the COM port number manually helps sometimes: [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 19, 2013 04:17PM
I solves my own issue. For me, the stepper drivers need to be soldered to the pins. Who knew?

I would recommend you look for another power source. Your PSU only is putting out 10A on the 12V rail, which might work if you are only driving the steppers, as there is a 18Watt limit. So you are pushing the upper limit of the PSU. I would recommend a 30A 12V psu that you can find on eBay for under 35 bucks.
Have you tried adjusting the output on the drivers? They might not be supplying enogh juice to a stepper.
February 20, 2013 09:54AM
Check what is the Max power rating of your stepper motor someone uses 2.5A current rating for torque > 40Ncm
so it uses more current for the Motor itself, so they need 12V and current rating to be about 12 to 20 Amps for fine movement if the heated bed is added additionally

I suggest using 12V 15Amps DC power supply, and is sufficient, so you can get power of 180Watts that's okay for the Sanguinololu with 4 stepper motors with 1 heater bed attached

For the present sanguinololu1.3A, we have no LED that representing the presence of Input 12V supply, The Sanguinololu seems to be powered even the USB is connected !

We need to check with multimeters to ensure the Board gets 12V sad smiley

Any way I am making the Sanguinololu 1.3a board with this modification that suits for me! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Another one, choosing the resonator is challenging, I got the resonator with 16MHz 15pF(got it unknowingly) from Mouser
Now I have ordered in local market for the correct one hope it will work smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login