Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It's my Third Motherboard and, I just want my printer to move.... Please Help

Posted by JOguino 
It's my Third Motherboard and, I just want my printer to move.... Please Help
March 03, 2014 09:57PM
So I'm trying to get my printer to move with the Sanguinololu.
I bought it from a "good ranking" Amazon seller who claims it has been tested.

It's has an Atmega 1284P with 16Mhz ceremic oscillator.
I'm using Arduino 1.0.5
I'm plugging directly from my usb to the sanguino usb port.
I'm pretty sure i've red every webpage on Reprap.org involving Sanguinololu Most suggestions include getting arduino 0022 which is no longer available for download on the arduino website.
I've checked multiple other websites which have not helped either.

I've used both Merlin and Sprinter just to try to get the thing moving. Have not been successful.
This is my third board. I burnt out my Ramps 1.4, there's not much online help with an ultimaker 1.5.7, so i resulted to buying a sanguinololu.
I've tried a lot of things and would REALLY appreciate some guidance or a step by step walkthrough.

Anyways here are my problems.

Sprinter
First thing i did was add Gen7 to the arduino hardware.
I selected the "Gen7 with Atmega 1284P and 16Mhz"
Changed to the "Define Motherboard 62" configuation.
Hit Verify and upload... And i get the following error:
"avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout"

Next thing i tried was Adding the "Sanguino" zip folder to the arduino hardware.
I selected "Sanguino W/ 1284P and 16Mhz"
Hit Verify and upload... And i get the following error:
Inside the "SD2card.cpp" tab
"High was not declared in this scope"

"Sd2Card.cpp: In member function ‘void Sd2Card::chipSelectHigh()’:
Sd2Card.cpp:150: error: ‘HIGH’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:150: error: ‘digitalWrite’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function ‘void Sd2Card::chipSelectLow()’:
Sd2Card.cpp:154: error: ‘LOW’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:154: error: ‘digitalWrite’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function ‘uint8_t Sd2Card::init(uint8_t, uint8_t)’:
Sd2Card.cpp:221: error: ‘millis’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:225: error: ‘OUTPUT’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:225: error: ‘pinMode’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp:227: error: ‘INPUT’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function ‘uint8_t Sd2Card::waitNotBusy(uint16_t)’:
Sd2Card.cpp:476: error: ‘millis’ was not declared in this scope
Sd2Card.cpp: In member function ‘uint8_t Sd2Card::waitStartBlock()’:
Sd2Card.cpp:486: error: ‘millis’ was not declared in this scope"

Merlin
Next
With the "Gen7 1284P and 16Mhz" selected.
"#Define Motehrboard 62" Inputed
Verify and Upload
Recieve error of:
"avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout"

Next thing
With the "Sanguino 1284p W/ 16Mhz" inside the Arduino Hardware folder and selected.
I change the following configurations to #Define Motherboared 62
Verify and Upload.
receiver error of:
In file included from Marlin.h:23,
from Sd2Card.cpp:20:
pins.h:1171:3: error: #error Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Mega' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu.
In file included from Sd2Card.cpp:20:
Marlin.h:30:22: error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory
In file included from Marlin.h:41,
from Sd2Card.cpp:20:
MarlinSerial.h:150: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘&’ token
MarlinSerial.h:150: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘String’ with no type
MarlinSerial.h:169: error: expected ‘,’ or ‘...’ before ‘&’ token
MarlinSerial.h:169: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘String’ with no type
MarlinSerial.h: In member function ‘void MarlinSerial::print(int)’:
MarlinSerial.h:152: error: ‘s’ was not declared in this scope

I just want the dam thing to move properly. Can someone please help me?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 10:01PM by JOguino.
Re: It's my Third Motherboard and, I just want my printer to move.... Please Help
March 03, 2014 11:02PM
1) all prior version are the arduino IDE are still available

see [arduino.cc]

2) avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout" is a communications error so the code compiled fine.
Two common causes, presuming there is a working boot loader on the chip.
1) you have left off the auto reset jumper, this needs to be on to allow the computer to reset the board to getting it into upload mode.
2) you are attempting to upload at the wrong baud rate, this is defined in your boards.txt file. and could be 38400 of 57600 depending on what boot loader they used.

3) you havent mentioned what version of arduino your using... or from where you got the gen7 or Sanguino file. some of these are know to be broken combinations

It looks like your gen 7 definitions are fine, and you should use those.

If your auto reset jumper is in place try the following.

Im going to presume you have [reprap.org]
in which case you should try editing the baud rate in the boards.txt file

find the line Gen7-1284P-16.upload.speed=115200 and try 57600 if that fails try 38400

After saving this change, restart the arduino IDE to re read the boards.txt file.
Re: It's my Third Motherboard and, I just want my printer to move.... Please Help
March 04, 2014 11:55AM
Still No Luck.

Dust
1) all prior version are the arduino IDE are still available

see [arduino.cc]

Tried to download the links i keep getting a "404 page" on arduino 0022 and 0023. I think somethign is wrong with thier website. I went on ahead and reported it.

Dust
2) avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout" is a communications error so the code compiled fine.
Two common causes, presuming there is a working boot loader on the chip.
1) you have left off the auto reset jumper, this needs to be on to allow the computer to reset the board to getting it into upload mode.
2) you are attempting to upload at the wrong baud rate, this is defined in your boards.txt file. and could be 38400 of 57600 depending on what boot loader they used.

I have the auto reset jumper in place (least i think i do) (it's the 2 pins between the atmega chip and the 3rd stepper motor chip right?)
I have changed the text file baudrate in Gen7 to 57600 and 38400 and re-opened the arduino program.
I still recieve the same error being "avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout".
I even changed the baudrate in the configuration program to match them. Still the same error.

Dust
3) you havent mentioned what version of arduino your using... or from where you got the gen7 or Sanguino file. some of these are know to be broken combinations

It looks like your gen 7 definitions are fine, and you should use those.

If your auto reset jumper is in place try the following.

Im going to presume you have [reprap.org]

That is the link where i got the Gen7 folder. I downloaded the 2.1 verson because i am using arduino 1.0.5 version.
I dont recall where i got the sanguino one, but if someone can give me a link to the proper one i'll try using it.
March 04, 2014 06:01PM
Yes those two pins between the atmega chip and the 3rd stepper motor is the auto reset.

Well your arduino IDE version is fine, it compiles fine etc. its just uploading thats fighting you.

I would contact your seller and ask them what bootloeader they used, in particular what upload speed is expected by that boot loader, eliminate that variable.
March 06, 2014 03:10AM
I just try to download the arduino n not problem1copy

to download win [arduino.googlecode.com]
to download mac [arduino.googlecode.com]

down loan Marlin from here [github.com]

it may not help, but this is what i do : unzip the marlin folder to arduino folder

1. copy the Sanguino folder from marlin add-on to arduino/hardware
2. copy and replace Marlin / ArduinoAddons / Arduino_0.xx / hardware / tools / avr / etc to arduino/hardware/tool/avr/etc

define motherboard 62

hope this will help u

regards
thomas
March 06, 2014 04:40PM
Hi Joguino,

I had exactly the same problem..until yesterday...grinning smiley
Maybe this thread can be of help to you: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?13,312562,320852#msg-320852
As you will see, the problem was with a Melzi, but I am quite sure in your case the problem roots in the same chip: the evil atmega1284p!! This little nasty microcontroller is quite fuzzy about dealing with the Arduino IDE because there is no Arduino that has it...so actually the reprap community has to do quite some workarounds...

Anyway, before going through all the pain I went...have you tried to keep the reset button pressed until the arduino IDE finishes saying "compiling..." and the orange status bar begins to move? This is a total stunt, requiring some ability and good reactions, but after three days of forums research, trial, error, and despair, this is what worked for me..smiling smiley (be aware: the moment when you have to release the reset button depends on the size of the Arduino skecth and you computer speed...)

Good luck!

www.poti-poti.org
March 06, 2014 05:06PM
If your having to hold down reset then your board is broken...

The reset line of the 1284p or 644p is connected to DTR serial line of the serial converter chip via the auto reboot jumper. So all the computer has to do is toggle the DTR line and the board will reset. On reboot the boot loader is run witch allows you to upload new firmware over serial.

set [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz] for a lot more details.

You may want to get a AVR programmer, with that you can replace the boot loader, change MPU fuses, and upload firmware directly, by passing the boot loader.
I uses a [www.pololu.com], or you could use another arduino [arduino.cc]
March 06, 2014 05:29PM
Well, broken or not, now it works! grinning smiley
Maybe is not perfect, but buying another piece of hardware to fix something that I will rarely touch again is a little disproportionate no?
In my case the fuses got messed up because all of the junk I tried to upload it with (melzi, gen7, mighty, bobuino,...and many others that I don't remember now). The truth is that the first few attempts worked just fine and I happily suceeded in uploading the blink sketch for testing.
Unfortunately then, I think while trying to upload using a sanguino description from who-knows-where, the nasty "avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout" began to appear. I noticed the "bootloader.fuses" lines in the boards.txt file but in my ignorance I trusted the provider...
Anyway, lets hope the trick works also for JOguino so he can do some printing as well..smiling smiley

Happy printing!

www.poti-poti.org
March 10, 2014 10:09PM
Got the firmware uploaded finally. But.....
Emadine
I just try to download the arduino n not problem1copy

to download win [arduino.googlecode.com]
to download mac [arduino.googlecode.com]

down loan Marlin from here [github.com]

it may not help, but this is what i do : unzip the marlin folder to arduino folder

1. copy the Sanguino folder from marlin add-on to arduino/hardware
2. copy and replace Marlin / ArduinoAddons / Arduino_0.xx / hardware / tools / avr / etc to arduino/hardware/tool/avr/etc

define motherboard 62

hope this will help u

regards
thomas

it's still not moving.
I'm using Pronterface and have installed it according the instructions on this video.
www.youtube.com

Right when i connect via button on pronterface, it says the following:
Connecting...
1.3.22T / 20.08.2012
start
Printer is now online.
SD Start
SD init fail
Soft PWM Init
Planner Init
Stepper Timer init
Free Ram: 11661
Plan Buffer Size:1152 / 16

When i have the board plugged into the computer.
When i plug in the power supply (atx power supply with the 4 "square prong", "yellow and black" wires) i get the following error:
[ERROR] Can't read from printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)

i noticed the red LED dims a little bit.

When i dont have the board plugged into the computer.
the ATX power supply fan suddenly turns off the moment i plug it into the board.
I lose all power....

I checked the atx with a volt meter and i'm reading 12 volts. IDK why it's doing what it's doing.

Also do i have to have 12V plugged into the power inputs next to the motor inputs? or is the atx power supply enough?

Can someone help me again please?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2014 10:39PM by JOguino.
March 11, 2014 08:31AM
JOguino
Got the firmware uploaded finally. But.....

it's still not moving.
I'm using Pronterface and have installed it according the instructions on this video.
www.youtube.com

Right when i connect via button on pronterface, it says the following:
Connecting...
1.3.22T / 20.08.2012
start
Printer is now online.
SD Start
SD init fail
Soft PWM Init
Planner Init
Stepper Timer init
Free Ram: 11661
Plan Buffer Size:1152 / 16

When i have the board plugged into the computer.
When i plug in the power supply (atx power supply with the 4 "square prong", "yellow and black" wires) i get the following error:
[ERROR] Can't read from printer (disconnected?) (SerialException): device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)

i noticed the red LED dims a little bit.

When i dont have the board plugged into the computer.
the ATX power supply fan suddenly turns off the moment i plug it into the board.
I lose all power....

I checked the atx with a volt meter and i'm reading 12 volts. IDK why it's doing what it's doing.

Also do i have to have 12V plugged into the power inputs next to the motor inputs? or is the atx power supply enough?

Can someone help me again please?

Hi since u have flash the firmware and the board is talking with ur pc then that will be fine.
Ur problem only start if u plug the ATX supply so i think is ur supply problem or the connection is wrong so i would suggest u take some pic and post hopping that some ppl can spot the problem

regards
thomas
March 12, 2014 09:25PM
Movement! We HAVE MOVEMENT!! But I'm not done yet....

anyways i had quite the list of problems.
One: i found out i had my wiring wrong. i had 1A and 2A wired together instead of 1A and 1B.
Two: I had to put 12 volts to the pins next to the stepper motor pins. the atx power connection doesnt power them for some reason.

Current problem.
The printer suddenly quits responding mid way through (i only tested one motor however).
I have to disconnect and reconnect everything to get it to respond again.
It sometimes messes up suddenly.
It also doesn't react to negative axis direction commands.

Any thoughts? or suggestions?

Thank all yall SOO much for the help you've given me so far. i really appreciate it.
March 13, 2014 04:46AM
not moving in -ve direction is almost certainly endstops

As in the controller thinks your min end stop is triggered, so it will not move any further -ve

use the m119 command to get the controller to tell you what it is seeing for the endstops.
[reprap.org]

basically test you endstops are working..
Make sure no end stops are being triggred, give a m119 command
Hold down a end stop and give annther m119 command, did it change the correct end stop status. test all endstops
Endstops can also be inverted, check that its triggred only when the endstop is triggred.

NB no mechanical endstops (switch type) is normally configured to cause it to trigger

re 12v.. I would check the soldering on the back of your power plug, as its big strips of copper from their to all over the board. So would be hard to damage that. more likely to be bad soldering at the plug.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 05:10AM by Dust.
Hello Guys! i think I have a problem with a short circuit somewhere on my board I think. I am new to this technology and am not quite sure what went wrong.I connected it once and managed to make it move but then I rearranged something on the structure of the printer. I was trying to connect my power supply to the sanguinololu again afterwards, but it wouldn't work. I ve tested the power supply, it works fine, which means there must be something wrong somewhere on the board. Do you have an idea about how to find out? Is it possible to fix or do I have to buy a new one? How can I find out what went wrong?

Thank you!
Zuzu.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login