Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reprap host software cant communicate with board

Posted by bergsprekken 
reprap host software cant communicate with board
May 05, 2010 02:33PM
I have 3 sanguino boards including 1 from iprint3d that was tested before it was sent and working.

In the reprap host software Im trying to do the motherboard test procedure, enabled commdebug in preferences and then its supposed to report a temperature 0.

in the console window I see this when starting reprap:
*lots of java messages*
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
comms: G-code: N0 T0 *26 dequeued and sent [0.000s/-1270058805954ms]

then nothing more, did this message mean that it successfully sent the gcode and the board received it? Is it waiting for a message back from the board?

Now, nothing else happens unless I go to the xyz tab and hit a button, then the software hangs displaying this extra line in the console window:
< i put in 5 in Y box and hit the button with the right/arrow sign on it >

comms: G-code: N0 G1 F1500.0 *116 dequeued and sent [720.282s/720282ms]

OS is windows xp sp3 clean with java 1.6/22
Also tried linux ubuntu but its the exact same result, and on all 3 boards and on all 3 usbttl cables ive tried smiling smiley

AND get this, the same result when the usb cable isnt even plugged into any board.. but this has to be software,3 boards cant fail and cirtainly not when one of them was tested before i bought it, i even bought the usbttl cable that the seller used to test his motherboards..so, the board and the cable are pretty much ruled out i think.

ReplicatorG also fails to upload firmware..

What could be wrong here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 09:28AM by VDX.
Re: reprap host software cant communicate with board
June 03, 2010 03:39AM
Your endstop/s may be misconfigured, resulting in the Sanguino preventing it from doing anything.

The temperature probe may be misconfigured, ( eg set as a thermocouple instead of a thermistor ), resulting in it refusing to start the extruder until it's corrected?
July 30, 2010 10:04AM
Hi !

Somewhat similar situation here: when openning the reprap software on Windows without anything plugged in, I get the console ending in

Error opening port: /dev/ttyUSB0

No changes after I plug the USB/TTL connected to the Motherboard, in order to follow the motherboard checkup procedure, and set CommsDebug to true. I don't get the
comms: G-code: M105 dequeued and sent [0.002s/-1259516051264ms]
comms: GCodeWriter.waitForOK() - temperature reading: T:0 [0.017s/15ms]
comms: GCode acknowledged with message: ok EB [0.017s/0ms]

Same also if I plug the USB/TTL before opening the software instead of after.

Do you have any idea what is going on?
July 30, 2010 12:23PM
matthieu-

if your using windows your port should be set to something like COM3 not USB0
July 30, 2010 04:04PM
Dear oh dear, I think you're onto something, I went into the preference documentation and indeed the port name is for linux.
[www.reprap.org]

Yet, changing to COM3 like you said or COM5 as in the documentation was no improvement, also /dev/ttyCOM3 failed (I know it's for LInux, I had nothing to lose smiling smiley ).

Is there a place where this thing is explained, or is there a windows user around to explain the tweak?

Thanks anyway
July 30, 2010 04:12PM
You have to specify the COM port that is used.
Plug in the FTDI adapter into the USB and look in your hardware device manager to see what COM port is being used and enter it. By me it is COM3.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 30, 2010 04:17PM
Holy cow,

I found this
[objects.reprap.org]

And looking at my device controller, I have no USB device (COMx) in the Ports (PCT&COM) tree ! Only an ECP printer on LPT1.

I suppose it's a driver issue ? Anyone has an idea ?
July 30, 2010 04:33PM
Gotcha !

I found a driver here that allowed by to convert a USB port to a virtual COM. The adress is below for the poor Windows users like me. It created a COM6 USB port as explained in the wiki and now everything is correct. I think some versions of windows don't come with that frontloaded.

[www.ftdichip.com]

Now I'm wondering, I'd like to edit the wiki to explain that to other people, it's not possible ?

Thanks for the help
July 30, 2010 05:13PM
If you have registered on the wiki and logged in then you can edit away!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
July 30, 2010 05:19PM
the arduino editing software is good for figuring out which com port. check, plug in, check again. record com port.

also it is just COMx, not dev/tty/COMx that you put in the preferences.
July 31, 2010 03:14AM
rhmorrison: neat, now my electronic works AND I feel I have improved the wiki :-)

lunchtrayrider: like I said, the issue was that I needed a FTDI driver to have a COM port out of my USB plugs.
July 31, 2010 03:39AM
Thanks Matthieu. smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
i have the same problem

in the console window I see this when starting reprap:
*lots of java messages*
=========================================
comms: G-code: N0 T0 *26 dequeued and sent [0.000s/-1270058805954ms]

then nothing more, did this message mean that it successfully sent the gcode and the board received it? Is it waiting for a message back from the board?

Now, nothing else happens unless I go to the xyz tab and hit a button, then the software hangs displaying this extra line in the console window:

but the response on this topic its about other thing (com3 for mesmiling smiley )
thx
October 26, 2010 08:50AM
Same problem as Bergsprekken en Dex,

I'm doing the first test at the testing page. When i'm trying the CommsDebug it says:

comms: G-code: N0 T0 *26 dequeued and sent [0.000s/-1288097231900ms]

I'm using a usb-ttl cable and don't have any other boards connected to the motherboard yet (I've also tried connecting everything, same problem)

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanx
I have the same problem, my reprap only run with repsnaper. With reprap console, it can't be conected.
Does anyone have a solution for that?
Thanks,

P/s : I use win7 - 32bit
November 15, 2011 09:31AM
Have you set the COM port and Baudrate to the same that you are using with Repsnapper?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
Hi,
i am using java host software, when connecting to the board, GUI is not displaying. While debugging i found that serial port value always returning -1. I am using five D Gcode firmware. Anyone please guide me to make communication with board. Also give me a suggestion regarding firmware, which firmware i have to use. what will lbe the problem. i have downloaded code from github.

Thanks & Regards
Balaji
April 08, 2015 05:21AM
I had same problem, try to change the BaudRate on preferences. On my case, from 19200 to 9600 and then work fine.

Darwin config
Arduino 2009 AT168
Gen 2 electronics for axis motor stepper
Wade's_Geared_Extruder motor stepper w SMD A4988
Opto endstop
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login