Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with soldered motherboard for mendel

Posted by paul999 
Problem with soldered motherboard for mendel
May 25, 2010 04:27AM
Hi,

Last week I finally got my USB<--> TTL cable, and iam trying to get my motherboard (And extruder as well) programmed.

I did already burn the bootloader, and it looks like that was gone ok.
However, when I try to program the motherboard I receive the next error from the arduino software:
stk500_recv(): programmer not responding

(Iam using ubuntu 10.04). I receive this message with both my extruder as my motherboard.

Also, does anyone know if I connect and power on a ATX power supply, without connecting the motherboard to the USB port, the power supply should start?

PS: I wasnt sure if I should have posted this here or somewhere else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 04:27AM by paul999.
Re: Problem with soldered motherboard for mendel
May 25, 2010 10:40AM
The power supply will not start until the firmware is loaded onto the motherboard.

You should be able to program it with only using the USB-TTL cable, no ATX required. On thing to try is to hit the reset button as soon as the Arduino software is done compiling the firmware, right before it tries to load it to the board. Be sure you have the sanguino libraries and the correct port selected in the Arduino software.

Also, make sure the auto reset jumper is soldered in place. Theoretically this should allow the software to reset the board before programming, but sometimes it doesn't work.

Once the firmware is uploaded, ATX connected and the power switch on, the ATX supply should come on. If you just want to test the supply here is a method of doing that with the motherboard:
[www.binaryconstruct.com]

You can see the auto-reset jumper right by the TTL cable plug. The green wire allows you to directly control the power supply with the motherboard switch, without firmware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 10:47AM by jeffpark_.

----
June 04, 2010 04:32PM
Hi. i was just finished my self-building PCB board... w/ motherboard and extruder board. I was completed burn a bootloader for both after that i was follow your instruction and completed to uploading a firmware to motherboard. However when i try to do the same way to upload firmware to extruder board i found this error at arduino IDE - 0018

"avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x64
avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-4"

what i was done to a extruder board.
1.) upload a bootloader from arduino IDE 0018
2.) i'm using a [github.com] (ArduinoSlaveExtruder)
3.) extruder board is connect to computer (windows XP) by TTL-232 cable and connect with main power supply from motherboard.
4.) I also done is push a reset button when arduino IDE 0018 display after completed the compiling.

here is a pic of my extruder board when pluging-in a main power supply and TTL-232 cable (remark : a debug red led is flicker)

link --- [photo.blog.sina.com.cn]

please advise me what i can solve this problem.
June 14, 2010 11:58AM
I'm not sure of an exact solution but this person had a similar problem:
[www.arduino.cc]

Some possible solutions listed were to burn a new bootloader or replace the ATmega168 chip. You could also try a different USB-TTL cable. I'm still using Arduino IDE 0017, I had some problems with 0018 a long time ago. Arduino IDE 0017 works well for me.

Try checking all the pins with a multimeter to make sure you don't have solder bridges. Also, make sure the traces are good between the USB-TTL header to the ATmega.

I hope this helps, it probably all sounds pretty generic. Someone with more AVR experience could probably be of more help than I.

----
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login