Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uploading To Sanguino without bootloader

Posted by Jakob 
Jakob
Uploading To Sanguino without bootloader
June 05, 2010 10:43AM
Hi!

i asked myself if it is necessary to burn the bootloader first to upload the program.

Can i also directly use Arduino with usbtinyisp?(by modifying the preferences.txt to upload.using=usbtinyisp and the boards.txt sanguino.upload.protocol=usbtiny)

Does that work?

Greetings
Jakob
Re: Uploading To Sanguino without bootloader
June 05, 2010 02:18PM
It should be possible.

Since you (apparently) have the board and the usbtinyisp, try it, and then please tell the rest of us if it works smiling smiley

I think most Reprappers are likely to find it more convenient to avoid connecting an ISP programmer to try out new Reprap firmware, change steps/mm parameters, etc. Once you have a bootloader in place, it's just simpler to program it over the same USB-to-serial connection your host PC uses to communicate with the Reprap firmware.

But if you want to use the usbtinyisp instead, every time, try it out and report your results. It is supposed to work, at least as I understand it. It might be good to let us know why you want to do this -- what are the advantages of doing things this way?

Jonathan
Jakob
June 05, 2010 02:21PM
I will test it, but will take soem time because i first need to print the parts with my Makerbot i will have running by the end of next week.

It should save the 20$ for the usb to ttl cable and 1-2kb of flash in the Atmega Microcontroller!

Will test the procedure on my standalone Sanguino Board, should be comparable to the Mendel Circuit
June 05, 2010 04:13PM
OK. Let us know how it goes.

That's an interesting cost trade-off you seem to be making: the usbtinyisp kit is selling for US$22, which is more than the cost of a USB to serial TTL cable or board (you should be able to use the Sparkfun boards which are around US$15, for example). If you have a usbtinyisp already, but no usb-to-TTL converter, then using the already-paid-for usbtinyisp is going to be cheaper, of course smiling smiley

Will you really be making use of that extra ~3% (2kB out of 64kB ) of flash space in a Sanguino, to control a RepRap Mendel or similar 3D printer? Current reprap.org 5D firmware for the Gen3 motherboard is 22kB, separate Gen3 extruder controller firmware is much smaller still. [svn commits for a version using an Arduino Mega are just beginning]. You'd have to add a lot of extra code to reach 62kB of firmware. There are even Reprappers working to get all needed firmware into under 14kB, so a single Atmega 168 would be all you need.

My own viewpoint: I just did this the easy way, and have bought a Seeeduino Mega; under US$40, and it is programmable "out of the box" (really out-of-the-padded-envelope!) from the unmodified Arduino IDE with nothing more than a $2 USB A to mini-B cable (which I already have, from a camera or MP3 player or something).

From my perspective, US$45 (including shipping) for a way-more-than-I-need microcontroller board that includes everything I need to program it, seems a good deal, compared to buying or making a cheaper board, but then spending more on cables/devices to program it and communicate with it. If I were building a hundred boards, then the trade-offs might look very different, but for just one or two, I think my approach is both cost-effective and (relatively) simple.

Jonathan
Jakob
June 05, 2010 06:44PM
want to add this link: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer

it describes how to proceed
June 07, 2010 11:23PM
Where did you get a seeduino mega for under $40?

I'm probably going to go with a preprogrammed sanguino and the usb-ttl cable, mostly because I can see myself temporarily stealing the usb-ttl cable for future freeduino projects. I could totally see buying a usbtiny if I were going to use it for future projects, because it works out cheaper that way.
June 08, 2010 01:17AM
NKC Electronics has the Seeeduino Mega on sale for US$39.50, or did a week or so ago... yes, still advertised at that price. See http://www.nkcelectronics.com/seeeduino-mega-fully-assembled.html for full info. I'm not associated with them in any way, it was my first purchase from them. I'm a happy customer; it arrived on time, and worked "out of the padded envelope" for me.

Incidentally, although I do not intend to do a "build blog", status info on my Mendel build, including where I am getting my parts from, is on my user page of the reprap.org wiki, which is linked to in the clickable "Jonathan" signature at the bottom of my messages in these forums smiling smiley

Jonathan
June 08, 2010 03:19AM
Hm, I might actually change my mind and go for the Seeduino; I think I need to do a little more research first, though. I'm afraid I'm kind of derailing this thread, though.

Jakob, tell us how the usbtiny works out!
Jakob
June 13, 2010 03:23PM
Good news:

i finished my Makerbot now and in the next week i will set the mendel motherboard up

will report how things go!
Jakob
June 24, 2010 10:24AM
Hi,

I now tested it with success, you can uplaod the firmware without the usb2ttl cable

greetings
Jakob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login