Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap Discount Smart Controller Not Working

Posted by Flightless 
Reprap Discount Smart Controller Not Working
May 04, 2015 10:42AM
Hi All,

Have a mendelmax 1.5 using sanguino 1.3a & latest Marlin firmware.

Frustrated with the smart controller I bought from here.

According to guys like this, it should be just as easy as uncommenting a few lines in Marlin (granted he is using RAMPS but the same principle should apply, right?)

No matter what I try when this thing powers on it just shows black rectangles instead of getting to the start screen as it should.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

P.S. Sanguino doesn't seem to be so popular these days, seems to be quite hard to find info for them.
Re: Reprap Discount Smart Controller Not Working
May 04, 2015 01:04PM
This could well be a contrast issue. Have you tried adjusting the contrast trimpot on the rear?

This thread is about full graphic LCD displays having contrast problems, but it might be useful for 2004 LCDs, too: [forums.reprap.org]
May 05, 2015 07:55AM
Tried adjusting the contrast, still just get this (see attached).
Attachments:
open | download - 20150505_212624 (800x480).jpg (198.6 KB)
May 05, 2015 08:59AM
Thats either cabled swapped or firmware not setup for that lcd. (could be a hardware fault to... but not likely)

Please post your configiration.h to pastebin.com and link to it here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 09:00AM by Dust.
May 09, 2015 08:11PM
Hi Dust,

Please find the config file here.

Thanks
October 17, 2019 03:49PM
It looks to me like all elements that create words and figures are turned to maximum. Thus if anything is at your controller you won't see it i.e. black writing on black background. Try adjusting the pot on the back again until your printing blocks are toned down.
October 18, 2019 09:15AM
kpgresk
It looks to me like all elements that create words and figures are turned to maximum. Thus if anything is at your controller you won't see it i.e. black writing on black background. Try adjusting the pot on the back again until your printing blocks are toned down.

You just woke up from hibernation ?

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
January 10, 2020 08:01PM
This happened to me when I had the LCD cables connected 180 degrees, Pin 1 was connected to pin 6.
I made a reversed the cable and the Display worked. My problem was the cable Key was inverted because of the Connector Key.
This is shown in images below. On the BigTree and RepRap LCD controllers the Keyed connector is reversed.

This caused my display to have hte exact same problem as you as inquiring about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 08:02PM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login