Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hesine Melzi 2.0, marlin firmware upload issue

Posted by Muleo 
Hesine Melzi 2.0, marlin firmware upload issue
December 17, 2015 09:43AM
Hi everyone, I got my first printer recently and I'm trying to upload Marlin to it to enable autolevelling.. I can control the printer through USB (pronterface) but I'm having trouble flashing the software.

I've tried ReprapPro's version of Marlin, configured as per their tutorial, with board set to 'Melzi 1284p 16mhz'
I've tried Marlin 1.0.x, configured as per Tom's firmware guide, with board set to 'Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz'
I've tried the manufacturer's provided preconfigured repetier firmware

In all cases Arduino IDE compiles the code fine but on upload it gets stuck at "Uploading..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2015 02:57PM by Muleo.
Re: Hesine Melzi 2.0, marlin firmware upload issue
December 17, 2015 04:00PM
If its the same as a standard Melzi, there is an auto reset jumper that needs to be in place

December 17, 2015 04:26PM
It's in place (and I do see the printer restart on the LCD when it starts to upload)
December 17, 2015 08:22PM
Well the hardware side is all good then, that leaves the boot loader

Overview: when the Arduino IDE uploads a new firmware the board is rebooted and the boot loader is executed, this allows you to update the remaining firmware over serial (over usb in this case)

Unfortunately It is not necessary for a boot loader to be installed, there are other ways the firmware can be installed, and it may be that the maker of your board has just not put a boot loader on it.

Or They have installed a boot loader but the expected protocol and speed are not as set in your boards.txt file
Melzi 1284p 16mhz has the following lines in the boards.txt file

atmega1284.upload.protocol=stk500v1
atmega1284.upload.speed=57600

I'm not sure where you got your Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz definition, but it will have similar lines

you could try some other baud rates, 38400 used to be common for boot loaders, as is 9600
you could also try protocol=stk500 or protocol=stk500v2 or protocol=arduino

Nb when you edit the text file you need to restart Arduino IDE or it will not notice.

If all this fails you can put a new boot loader on it yourself using a AVRISP (this is hardware, but could be another arduino)
December 17, 2015 08:28PM
Is there a way to check whether a bootloader is present?
December 17, 2015 09:47PM
Most boot loaders toggle pin 13 3 times (where most Arduino boards have a LED) but I don't think this board has this LED..

I read that it should be on PB7 which is SCK signal on the Melzi board. according to [github.com]

This also lists BAUD_RATE 19200, so another option to try.
December 17, 2015 10:10PM
Thanks, I managed to talk to the manufacturer and they told me I need an ISP programmer to flash firmware. I guess there's no bootloader on it after all
December 18, 2015 12:24AM
Luckily you can get ISP's really cheap or get a Arduino and program it with ArduinoISP and use that to install a boot loader.

If you buy one make sure its support the 1284p chip, some are limited to smaller chips I have one of these and know it works

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 12:26AM by Dust.
December 18, 2015 12:26AM
I've got one coming from China, in the meantime (probably take a month to get here) I'm going to try with an Arduino Nano..
February 07, 2016 06:30PM
I am having the same issue with my Melzi board. I uploaded the bootloader and still the same issue. I might try an older version of the Arduino IDE

Dale
February 09, 2016 05:12AM
I've been able to get mine working. The problem was the com port driver. The one that comes with windows didn't seem to work. Downloaded the vcp driver from ftdi
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login