Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Verifying bootloader and/or firmware on Sanguinololou with ATMega1284P

Posted by cpnbnanamn 
Verifying bootloader and/or firmware on Sanguinololou with ATMega1284P
January 31, 2016 10:52AM
All,
I'm a newb to this, and have been messing with a buddy's GeeeTech 3D printer. It has a Sanguinololou board on it, and I wanted to load the Marlin FW. However, having already bricked one 1284, I want to make sure I do this right. Is there a way for me to verify what's already loaded?
Re: Verifying bootloader and/or firmware on Sanguinololou with ATMega1284P
January 31, 2016 10:44PM
As long as you just the bootloader via serial over usb you cannot brick it.

If you start playing with avrisp's then you can brick it, but even then you would really have to try!

So basically just use the boot loader
February 01, 2016 09:21AM
Everything I've read talks about removing the ATMega chip and wiring it to a breadboard, then loading the bootloader. I'm guessing that means I can't load it while it's on the Sanguinlolou board. Please forgive the dumb questions.. like I said.. i'm new to this.
February 01, 2016 04:35PM
You can install a boot-loader fine while its on the SL board, Ive done this more times than I care to count... Just wire in the isp header pins and use those with a avrisp. (these pins are often missing on cheap boards)

Main issue is the "fuses" make sure you get those correct. (SL has a resonator vs a crystal, requires different fuse settings)
You borads.txt contains what fuse setting the arduino ide will set. (Fuses are set when you upload a boot loader from within the arduinio ide) A generic 644p or 1284p chip profile will presume a Crystal.

Second potential issue is that some of the really cheap avrisps do not support chips with large firmwares, ie they do not support 644p or 1284p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 04:36PM by Dust.
February 04, 2016 09:03AM
Any help or resources you could share would be greatly appreciated. I'd LOVE to get this thing working! Even if you've got time to PM or even call.
February 04, 2016 03:43PM
Its different depends on what programmer you have, and what chip you have (644p or 1284p)

but take a look at my old notes [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz] and [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz] some 1284p notes [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz] and Finally best way to add Sl support into the current arduino IDE [dustsreprap.blogspot.co.nz]
may
February 05, 2016 03:47PM
I want to know the programmer and Ican not find the pin wiring for the programmer on the kit
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (86.7 KB)
may
February 05, 2016 03:52PM
Iwant to know the wiring for the burner on this kit (melzi v2),but I cannot find the same kit by my searching
Attachments:
February 05, 2016 09:11PM
normally it would be like

If your lucky they have just move the 4 pins over so the last 6 pins are what you need..

Your going to have to trace the board or find the manufacturers documentation

I think what they have done is added the glcd converter on board

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 09:28PM by Dust.
may
February 06, 2016 10:49AM
can you show the place of the usbisp in my melzi board in this image
Attachments:
February 06, 2016 06:42PM
no, I’ve never seen that board before. They have changed it without document it

Where did you get this board? got a url? maybe there is some documentation there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 01:36AM by Dust.
February 08, 2016 12:30PM
I have the 1284P
February 08, 2016 09:27PM
Dust,
If I'm understanding your notes correctly, if I connect an LED (BTW, the link in your notes is no longer valid) to the last pins, and I get the 3 pulses, I have a bootloader? I can attach a pic of my Sanguinololou board it it'll help.
February 08, 2016 11:00PM
Only if you have a Sanguinololou, and you also need a resistor to limit the current (1K ish), and the led has to be around the correct way.

This shows the correct way around (on a standard ardunio) You just need to identify which is ground and which in a IO line on the pololu module

Most boot loaders flash this IO line, but its not guaranteed.

The only way to be sure you have a boot loader installed, is to install one yourself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 11:08PM by Dust.
May 16, 2022 07:37PM
Exp-2 you have to connect, see back side of LCD monitor you have pin description.
Which has Mosi, sck miso etc..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login