Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu - Okay to run steppers in parallel on individual Pololus?

Posted by GreenLead 
Sanguinololu - Okay to run steppers in parallel on individual Pololus?
May 02, 2011 10:00PM
I'm looking into getting a Prusa Mendel, and was attracted by the single board solution offered by the Sanguinololu.

The Prusa apparently requires a total of five steppers - one X, one Y, two Z and one for the extruder. Josef suggested in the documentation that one could splice the leads of the Z steppers together and wire them in parallel to the Z-axis Pololu.

Just wondering if it's okay to do this on the Sanguinololu.

Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Re: Sanguinololu - Okay to run steppers in parallel on individual Pololus?
May 03, 2011 05:13AM
The Sanguinololu used the same "Pololus" as many other electronics sets, so you can trust what Josef says.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 03, 2011 04:58PM
Cool, thanks!
May 17, 2011 04:06PM
Just remember you will likely not get the full 2A theoretical max out of the pololu, so source your motors accordingly. You would want motors that get rated torque sufficient for the job at something like .5 to .75 amps such that the total amps on Z would be 1 to 1.5A. I have 2amp motors and the pololu will not drive the ganged Z axis. I'm going to have to buy different motors for Z. That's fine for me though, I can use them on Prusa #2 smiling smiley
May 17, 2011 05:56PM
Or wire them in series smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login