Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power the blue LEDs separetely on this aquarium light?

Posted by vivitern 
Power the blue LEDs separetely on this aquarium light?
December 04, 2017 03:44AM
I have a Beamswork LED aquarium light like this. It has a 3 way switch:

All LEDs off
Blue LEDs on only
White AND blue LEDs on
It has a single mains power plug.

What I want to do is make it have two mains wall plugs. I want one to power the blue LEDs all the time, always on.

I want the 2nd plug to power the white LEDs only, and this will be plugged into a plug timer like this, so the white LEDs will independently go on and off by time, while the blues stay on (because that will be plugged in separately - I hope).

I opened the cover and found this:

The 2 black wires connected to the brown PCB is where the mains adapter plugs into. Then there are 3 blue-covered connectors which are connected to the 3 way switch. I don't know which ones control which colour as I didn't test it plugged in, but I think the white one is white LED, the middle one is power, the one I'm holding had a blue wire so probably blue LED. Is there a way to connect a 2nd mains plug to that blue LED connector (if it is that) so it powers separately? Drilling through the plastic to get a wire in is fine, but I don't know how what electric connectors or connections I need.

I don't know much about electrics, first-time project! Thanks.

EDIT: This is is the spec of the adapter FCE17-E09AD-240 :http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf0125/FCE17-E09AD-240.pdf

And here I have done a few tests:

Wire 1 controls the "blue ONLY" LEDs from the switch
Wire 2 comes from the mains adapter
Wire 3 controls the "white AND blue" LEDs from the switch
Wire 4 goes to a metal thing on the LED board saying "Ground"
If I disconnect wire 1 and put the switch into the "blue only" position, the blue LEDs don't come on. But if I put the switch into the "all on" position, the white AND blue LEDs do come on.

If I disconnect wire 3 and put the switch into the "blue only" position, the blue LEDs do come on. But if I put the switch into the "all on" position, the white AND blue LEDs don't come on.

I'm thinking of getting a second power adapter and a male connector to fit directly to wire 1 (so disconnecting wire 1 from the original switch above), so I can keep the blue LEDs always on. But I'm worried, since wire 3 turns on both the blue and white LEDs (even if wire 1 is disconnected), will this make the blue LEDs get double power and cause a problem?

My goal in the end is to have the blue LEDs always on (because they will be powered separately from a new mains adapter) 24 hours a day. And the white LEDS (which also turn on the blue LEDs too) to be plugged into a plug timer and turn off at certain times of the day. Any suggestions?
Re: Power the blue LEDs separetely on this aquarium light?
December 04, 2017 08:54AM
I would expect there is more to the circuit that has not been shown here.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2017 06:34PM by Roberts_Clif.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login