Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Creating a cheap all in one controller!

Posted by Henry89 
Creating a cheap all in one controller!
May 19, 2013 01:58PM
I'm new to all this and have just ordered an eshapeoko CNC kit which, Along with learning about CNC stuff, i plan to use to help me on my next project, a 3 d printer. I've been looking around and there seem to be a lot of 3d printer shields for the arduino Mega and a few CNC breakouts too. Why not create a driver/ sensor shield that could act as either a CNC controller running GRBL or a 3d printer running marlin or the like? it would take is 2 arduinos, each with the relevant firmware bought seprately. Build the driver board so that you can switch between control from either arduino board and switch the outputs to the end stops and motors etc. between each machine!. I plan on doing this essentially. I have a CNC breakout board for MACH3 cnc control software and 3 drivers. I want to add an extra driver and an arduino with marlin on it and create a simple interface board that will allow me to switch control between my cnc machine and the 3d printer I plan on building.
Re: Creating a cheap all in one controller!
May 20, 2013 06:38AM
You can use a RepRap firmware to control a milling CNC, too. Just ignore the extruder part and handle a spindle like a fan.

That said, RAMPS and its almost-clones are about the only RepRap electronics designed as a shield. Many, many "all-in-one" ones exist.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 12, 2013 04:59PM
So what control board should I buy myself to be able to run 3 stepper motors + 1 stepper motor-based extruder and heatbed OR run this machine as a mill, with a spindle.

I don't want to program, solder, build anything myself. I want a finished product to use with my Shapeoko - based device.
Stepper motors have no termenals.
June 14, 2013 06:17AM
June 14, 2013 11:46AM
Who sells this board? I have no capacity to solder SMD electronics. I want to buy a turnkey board that is popular and easy to use.
June 14, 2013 01:26PM
1) I want to use Azteeg X3 3DP Reprap Controller w/ ATMEGA2560
I see nothing better in the price range.
Is this a good idea? I live in United States.

2) Because I want to use the device I am building as a 3D printer and as a mill, I need some firmware.
I looked at this page and found no Download button or any link that would let me download this firmware.

3) How do I tell my CAM that there are custom M codes in the Gcode library that my machine has?

4) If anybody can help me expand Azteeg G1-328P CNC Controller to accommodate for a 3D extruder printhead motor, I will be very pleased. I have some programing background but I never worked on big open source projects that command hardware. This will be the cheapest solution.

Thank you.
June 15, 2013 07:19AM
Many vendors promise "Turnkey" or "Plug&Play", still this isn't possible. Electronics has to be adjusted to the machine mechanism.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 16, 2013 01:09AM
I already bought a board, where electronics can do more than software wood allow for.

What board should I buy that would let me run 5 motors?
How do I tell firmware what motor does what?

Thank you for helping me.
October 31, 2014 09:49AM
NM. Didn't see the age.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 09:49AM by cdru.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login