Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repairing an amplifier myself

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Repairing an amplifier myself
May 20, 2013 06:36AM
Hi, so theres not a channel for this, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this.

I have found an amplifier two days ago, outside in the trash. And it works! However, it has noise when you turn on the knobs.

It's this amplifier:
[www.retrotronics.co.nz]

And as a sound-o-phile I would really like to restore this beauty to a good working state.

Now, I know there are things like contact spray, but I have read that they usually do more damage than good and only *seem* to work for a short period and then they will make matters worse than they already were.

So, I am not afraid of opening the machine up and replacing a few knobs, but I have absolutely no idea where to get replacement knobs and still wanted to see if someone here has another piece of advice? There might be alternatives to contact spray which don't make me replace the potmeters, but just have me clean it up a bit inside the potmeters?

- Marinus
Re: Repairing an amplifier myself
May 27, 2013 07:52PM
well hope you are seeing this grinning smiley ... i fix audio stuff for foilks around my local.

take some pics and send me the variable resistor that makes that scratchy sound, i can offer you some repair tips if it what i think is the fault grinning smiley

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
May 31, 2013 11:57AM
Yes, I am seeing this smiling smiley

I will open the machine up this evening and take some pictures
Thanks smiling smiley!
March 21, 2014 11:34AM
I dont know a ton but I just got done doing some upgrades to my carver M500t amp which was built by the famous bob carver. What parts do you need help with.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
March 21, 2014 02:03PM
My father used to open up the pots and scribble on the track with a soft pencil. I can't remember how successfully it was because it was in the 70's on valve based equipment.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 22, 2014 02:29PM
Ohmarinus
Hi, so theres not a channel for this, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with this.

I have found an amplifier two days ago, outside in the trash. And it works! However, it has noise when you turn on the knobs.

It's this amplifier:
[www.retrotronics.co.nz]

And as a sound-o-phile I would really like to restore this beauty to a good working state.

Now, I know there are things like contact spray, but I have read that they usually do more damage than good and only *seem* to work for a short period and then they will make matters worse than they already were.

So, I am not afraid of opening the machine up and replacing a few knobs, but I have absolutely no idea where to get replacement knobs and still wanted to see if someone here has another piece of advice? There might be alternatives to contact spray which don't make me replace the potmeters, but just have me clean it up a bit inside the potmeters?

- Marinus

Turn the pots to their extremes LOTS of times, probably about 50-100 cycles.
I have an old Arcam amp that does what you describe and wiping the pots works well to fix that issue.
Cheers
D
April 11, 2014 12:35PM
Your best resource for help is www.diyaudio.com, I've been on there for years.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
April 11, 2014 03:00PM
Ya I decided to put my carver m500t and tx11a online for sale. They sound great but I need new reprap parts.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login