Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power panic board

Posted by boelle 
Power panic board
August 13, 2018 08:52AM
have i misunderstood that someone has started production of these boards?
Re: Power panic board
August 15, 2018 04:21AM
if nobody is making the board (other than prusa)

how much interest would there be in a board?
August 15, 2018 08:44AM
AFAIK it's only the Einsy controller board that has power panic capability but doesn't do its own power monitoring. I was told that it's because the 8-bit processor is too slow to handle the loss of power by itself. So the interest may be limited. The 32-bit controller boards that I am involved with have built-in power monitoring.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 15, 2018 09:11AM
very limited market...

24v only (so no good for anyone with say a mk2.5 at 12v)
mains wiring... (well soldered to the plug, but still) you need to be safe....
Power supply needs sufficient capacitance to do what it needs to do after power loss.

but.. I'm still interested
August 15, 2018 09:51AM
no it will also work at 12V

all it does it acting like a switch, when mains is present it makes creates a connnection and passes either 24V or 12V

what makes the einsy "special" is that the bed and extruder heater will be disconnected as soon the power panic signals that mains is gone.... its done at the hardware level

on top of that one of the pins on the mcu is also connected to this "line" so that it can act on what happens

if you study the einsy schematics here: [github.com]

it will quickly make you get an aha moment and a smile

i will post the schematic for the power panic in a bit
August 15, 2018 09:55AM

August 15, 2018 10:00AM
but yes, the psu has to have enough capacitance

the signal to the mcu can at a very rough pinch be done with a resistor divider. in my own case which is the ramps board from spain i plan to use either aux1 or 2

the bed and extruder can be connected via a relay or a power expander.... you sure get the idea.

the mains voltage part.... its common sense to play it safe. but there is no need to afraid of it either

i use an atx psu and will solder it to the plug on the inside and route wires out. (i modded mine so it only has 2 wires at 2.5 square mm each and the wires for power on)
August 27, 2018 11:46AM
fyi, found them for sale on aliexpress [www.aliexpress.com]
August 27, 2018 11:48AM
hehe, you can always count on china :-)
August 27, 2018 12:28PM
sometimes... smiling smiley

but not others, eg some of their mk52 heated beds they 'improved' with a aluminium core... sadly this means the pinda probe cant detect the edges of the fiducial spots on the pcb so the firmware cant auto calibrate skew etc... FAIL!!!
May 28, 2019 04:08AM
Hello,

How can i configure power panic in Marlin-i3-MK3 (https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware),
is it possible?

Mayank.
May 28, 2019 06:44AM
What do you mean configure?

You need to correct controller to use it. Ie a Einsy Rambo 1.1a This has extra circuity that instantly cuts off the heated bed and hot end on loss of power
and their is extra circuitry in the power supply that tells the board when ac is lost.

what are you trying to do?
May 31, 2019 07:14AM
when I enable power loss recover mode in marlin 1.1.9 after starting print it just shown me power loss recovery so i click on resume print it just restart the main board.
May 31, 2019 09:14AM
I see in Marlin 1.1.9 and above

* Store the current state to the SD Card at the start of each layer
* during SD printing. If the recovery file is found at boot time, present
* an option on the LCD screen to continue the print from the last-known
* point in the file.

Though this does not say to store the last location printed merely the last layer started position,

Question! what would happen if the layer was almost complete and then you restarted printing this same layer again with.

//#define POWER_LOSS_RECOVERY

I would expect that it would be a very over-extruded layer. If not a failed print because it could brake loose from the bed because of friction.

Wonder if I could fake a Power outage using an unused end-stop switch to test an see how this would actually work, with manually restarting the 3D Printer.

This may be a fun and worthwhile project.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 09:49AM by Roberts_Clif.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login