Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jerky Stepper Movement and Idle Pulsing

Posted by Ademan 
Jerky Stepper Movement and Idle Pulsing
November 25, 2012 12:06AM
Hi Everybody,
I've finally got my printer assembled, and I'm having issues with my stepper motors. I got them from here: [www.robosprout.com] and I'm driving them with pololus and a Generation 7 1.4 electronics board with a recent checkout of Teacup firmware essentially stock. The symptoms I'm experiencing are as follows and affects ALL steppers, however I'll describe them in terms of the X axis.

If I command the X axis to move left using pronterface, most of the time it will move left something that looks like the appropriate number of units. Sometimes it will be very jerky and may or may not travel the expected distance. With a short distance such as .1 I will hear it engage briefly but usually will not observe any perceptible movement. Following any stepper activity the stepper motor will make a regular "pulse" or "click" of varying volume for a short period (almost exactly 30 seconds). During the pulsing the axle will move a small amount each pulse. Finally, sometimes upon issuing a command the X axis will move the opposite direction of what I requested.

My first question is: is it possible these steppers are wired wrong? I assume that if the steppers were wired wrong I would never get any movement beyond moving between two adjacent steps.

My second question is, what could be causing this issue? I read that adjusting the potentiometer on the pololu to reduce the current could address this issue, but I dialed it all the way to the lowest current, and increased the current until the steppers would move, the pulsing returned before the steppers had enough current to move.

Thanks for any and all help,
Dan
Re: Jerky Stepper Movement and Idle Pulsing
November 25, 2012 05:50AM

My first question is: is it possible these steppers are wired wrong? I assume that if the steppers were wired wrong I would never get any movement beyond moving between two adjacent steps.

Correct. The colors of motor wires are sometimes unreliable, so a double-check can't hurt. Power down, pull out the Pololu and measure the coil resistance at the Pololu header pins. This way you check connections and solderings, too.

Adjusting the current is a good idea, but also make sure there is no mechanical resistance. I'd remove the belts for troubleshooting to make sure there's zero load.

What you describe by pulsing might be overheating of the Pololus. Without heatsink they overheat pretty quickly, resulting in half-second dropouts. After 30 seconds without movements, Teacup turns off the PSU.

Once you have one axis working, you can swap motors and Pololus for further investigation. All axes are electrically identical.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login