Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cool servo project by noob.

Posted by regaljohnston 
cool servo project by noob.
January 25, 2013 10:06PM
hi,

i bought a lens thinking it would be compatible with the zoom button on my camcorder, unfortunately it isn't sad smiley...

i've been looking at building an servo motor to control the zoom function, this will be better for me because i'll be able to place the control stick/trigger exactly where i need it on my camera rig.

i have a few of specifications however...

-it will need to be as quiet as possible (for obvious recording reasons).
-it needs to be variable speeds.
-able to ease in and out of zoom smoothly/seamlessly.
-the control needs to be operatable by my thumb alone, a left/right thumb-stick or seasaw peddle would be ideal.

i've drawn up a very basic schematic -
(the control stick will go on the handle of the poleroid chest stabilizer)

that's how far i have gotten, however-

i don't know how to source a compatible joystick/tumbstick/seasaw peddle which will allow me to operate with smoothness and precision.

i don't know if i've picked the right servo motor (really don't know about these things).

when i buy the motor and control stick will it just plug and play???

please help me, let me know what your approach would be. any help would be massively appreciated.
Re: cool servo project by noob.
January 26, 2013 09:34AM
after doing some research i've found that i need a continuous rotation motor and a servo tester...

i don't know where to begin choosing continuous rotation motors so a few suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

and a servo tester seems like a good route but i don't have a clue which to choose, i've prepared another drawing to expand on the controller's requirements-

the control in the picture is a libec zoom controller, the zoom control here is exactly what i am after.

i need suggestions on ideal motors and servo testers.
January 26, 2013 09:40AM
something like this seems ideal...

[www.555-timer-circuits.com]

but i'm not sure about the torque requirements, the noise, and the smoothness.

the lens is not stiff at all, and would probably turn under the weight of about half a bag of flour...
January 26, 2013 11:57AM
Where are you putting this on your reprap? What function does it serve? Sorry, I don't see how it's related to the forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login