Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor with Fast rpm at the start and Slow rpm at the end

Posted by Tawn 
Motor with Fast rpm at the start and Slow rpm at the end
April 17, 2016 02:21AM
Hi,

I am from mechanical engineering background and have limited understanding of motors. Right now I designed a device which needs high rpm (~310rpm) at the start and slow at the end (8rpm) in a matter of 10sec for a repetitive job. This repetitive (10sec) job needs constant deceleration and resets to initial start position every 1min. The job handles an insignificant load (torque), that it just moves a slow-flowing fluid via a hose. Can this operation be realized by programming the motor to operate with a decelerating rotational speed (if so how?), or should I better work on constant rpm motor and rather vary the nozzle opening of the hose to vary the velocity of the fluid. As much as possible my choice is to use the former.

With best regards,

Tilek
Re: Motor with Fast rpm at the start and Slow rpm at the end
April 17, 2016 04:37AM
If I understand correctly you have 50 seconds to accelerate to 310rpm and want to decelerate to 8rpm in 10 sec?

It sounds like you could use a rotating mass to store the energy and then engage an electric clutch to do the 10sec job.
With modifying the mass, you could adapt the setup to your needs.

With the right software you could do without the mass, but a clutch would be needed in both cases.
April 17, 2016 07:52PM
Dear o_lampe,
Thanks for your response.

Ideally I am not expecting to accelerate the motor. My main interest is whether the 10sec job: [promptly achieve 310rpm (within a micro-second) and decelerate to 8rpm] is something achievable with limited complexity. When I say limited complexity I am referring to using something like off-the-shelf stepper motor, and programming using Arduino.

I will also further consider your suggestion to use a brake (electric clutch) or something similar - like a spiral spring whose reaction Torque increases with time and eventually slows down the motor speed.

Yet I was primarily keen to employ purely reactive/capacitive electrical load /configuration to handle this job before exploring mechanical measures like using spring and/or clutch. I appreciate further input in such regards.

Best regards,

TAWN
April 18, 2016 02:33PM
Going from 0 RPM to 310 RPM in 1us, is a LOT of acceleration!

I very much doubt you could get that performance from a reasonably sized stepper, you would need some huge torque. I would seek the alternative solution.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login