Stepper Motor making weird sound and acting funny
August 12, 2012 11:43PM
Hi, very new to this 3D printing scene and have worked my way throught this wiki. I am calibrating the motor but the X platter motor is making this high pitch sound every sec like a heart beating. It also only move x mm a sec when I tell it to move 10mm but not the whole 10mm at a single go and it have a small kick at each move where it move an extra 1-2mm. Y is working as it should but X is acting like it's going to die soon. The "symptom" is similiar to how I would describe a motor would react if it isn't getting enough juice to power it correctly.

Re: Stepper Motor making weird sound and acting funny
August 13, 2012 12:58AM
Sounds like your stepper driver is set at too high of a current and is tripping the thermal cutoff. Turn the pot for the stepper driver down. Is the stepper driver chip getting hot?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 13, 2012 01:12AM
By pot you mean potentiometer? is it this blue nob? and it does get hot to the touch during installation tests. Haven't test the other yet. [sumpod.jumpwiki.com]
August 13, 2012 01:38AM
sypher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By pot you mean potentiometer? is it this blue
> nob? and it does get hot to the touch during
> installation tests. Haven't test the other yet.
> [sumpod.jumpwiki.com]
> .jpg

Yes I mean potentiometer. It is the little silver thing with a cross slot on each stepper driver. Try turning it down a little for the axis that is having the problem.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 13, 2012 10:27PM
cool, that seem to do the trick. another problem that I encounter now with the Z stepper motor. It doesn't like going up. When I tell it to go up it just spazzed out and doesn't move an inch. I figure it was too much weight and didn't have enough torque or something but when I lift the platform exposing just the motor it still doesn't want to move up. The weird thing is that if I press down 4x10mm it move down(10mm) then down(10mm) then up half way(10mm) then down(10mm) while being noisy (it's already lubricated and manual turning does not have the same problem). will try to get video up soon but it is similar to this guy so it may be software related?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login