Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TMC2208 installation?

Posted by papilio 
TMC2208 installation?
August 06, 2017 02:11PM
I just purchased 4 TMC2208 drivers but am unable to locate pinouts or installation instructions in SpreadCycle mode on my Anycubic printer. My board has no jumpers so I expect I'll need to do something like the old TMC2100 "remove 3 pins (if required) and jumper these two pins" but will need to know exactly which. Can anybody point me in the proper direction? Thank you!
Re: TMC2208 installation?
October 19, 2017 05:25PM
With the TMC2208 you need to use the UART configuration with a USB-Serial adapter with your computer. Its really nice actually, it lets you change any setting about how the stepper diver functions and performs. You can either do it manually like here or use this handy board, keep in mind you still need a serial to USB converter for both options.
October 21, 2017 04:02AM
Thanks so much for your reply binarynightowl! Quite some time has passed since this post and things have sorted themselves happy to say, though I was never able to apply these drivers via more conventional manners as you clearly understand.

I'd been having frustrations in getting the TMC 2100 sticks to run without missing steps even with active cooling, and had read someplace that the 2208 drivers might be a better choice. But eventually just by playing long enough with values and parameters of the printer and 2100 drivers I lucked out and hit on what appears to be a workable configuration -- haven't had missed steps now in a good long while and the absolute silence of the steppers even in spreadCycle mode is remarkable!

I'll be installing the Duet Ethernet on the new machine which I'm building, so I'll be able to take advantage of the TMC features of its drivers such as you describe.
October 21, 2017 07:13AM
binarynightowl, these are very helpful links! At first, reading your reply I jumped to the conclusion that a solution as you describe was rather over my head as the field of knowledge involved is not a strength of mine. But after checking out your links it does look doable for me, and will certainly be a good chance to expand my understanding. Even though employing the 2208 drivers is no longer as important as it had been, no reason not to do what I can to improve even my little Anycubic workhorse.

Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login