Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calculating stepper driver settings

Posted by brucehvn 
Calculating stepper driver settings
October 21, 2018 04:38PM
I'm curious about the max amperage we should use when setting stepper voltages. If I have a stepper motor that according to the specs is rated at 1.2A, at a rated 2V. Do we have to do any conversion on those values? I'm thinking that we run our stepper motors at 5V, or am I incorrect? If we calculate based on 5V, then that seems like the max amperage becomes .48A (using P = I * E). That doesn't seem right and of course, I'm no electronics engineer.

So can someone clarify how we should interpret these numbers that we get in the specs for stepper motors as it relates to setting our stepper driver voltages?

I understand how to set the voltages just fine, I just need to know how we come up with the target amperage.
Re: Calculating stepper driver settings
October 22, 2018 02:36AM
Don't worry about the coil voltage. Most people use 80% of max. current and calculate Vref accordingly.
You've registered 4 years ago, so I won't bother you with links to our Wiki or suggest 'searching' the forum winking smiley
Re: Calculating stepper driver settings
October 22, 2018 04:33AM
o_lampe
Don't worry about the coil voltage. Most people use 80% of max. current and calculate Vref accordingly.
You've registered 4 years ago, so I won't bother you with links to our Wiki or suggest 'searching' the forum winking smiley

Thanks o_lampe. That answers my question just fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login