Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to set up External TB6600 driver for Nema 17

Posted by forreason 
How to set up External TB6600 driver for Nema 17
January 22, 2019 05:42AM
Hello Community,

I want to bridge the pololu socket to SainSmart TB6600 (or similar) external drivers to be able to drive the Nema 17 at their rated 24-48V. It appears that not many people have tried my (stupid?) approach before.

Here is how I plan to bridge to the external driver (note there are specific pcbs for bridging):

I have 3 Nema 17 Motors here which I want to drive:
[de.nanotec.com]
[de.nanotec.com]
[de.nanotec.com]

They all have an "Current per Winding" but I do not know what this exactly means. How do I know at which current to run the Motors at 48V?

- Can I just take the 1.7 A from the current per Coil as stated on the legend?
- Or do I have to calculate it from the Torgue curve: 17W / 48 V = 0.35 A?

One of those 3 Models is Unipolar, which should allow me for higher speeds with my ballscrews. Do you know if there are unipolar Stepper drivers that I can hook up in the above way or how does that work? If its not possible, Ill just use them in Bipolar mode.

Best regards,

Julian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 06:29AM by forreason.
Re: How to set up External TB6600 driver for Nema 17
January 22, 2019 05:54AM
Bridging the inputs to the output of the stepper drivers is not new and works well.

There are even commercial products that use it eg reprapdiscount silencioso [youprintin3d.de]

They are current driven... use the specified current

stepper motor voltage should be 2 to 5 listed voltage.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 06:05AM by Dust.
January 22, 2019 06:11AM
Dust
Bridging the inputs to the output of the stepper drivers is not new and works well.

There are even commercial products that use it eg [www.reprapdiscount.com]

Hello Dust,

that's not my concern. Eventhough I could not find a lot about that in the internet, I have no doubt that bridging will be fine. The topic im concerned about is how much amps I should throw at the steppers. Also I'm not so sure what 2-5 rated Voltage is.

in the datasheet here the ratingsBipolar Setup are 5.61 V @ 0.85 A. Which would mean I have to drive it with 22-24V @ 0.85 A from the datasheet?

another Question that I have:
Some of the Steppers I got are Unipolar. Which should result in less torque at lower speeds but higher torque for higher speeds. Can I as well just hook up a unipolar stepper driver?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 06:23AM by forreason.
January 22, 2019 06:38AM
forreason

in the datasheet here the ratingsBipolar Setup are 5.61 V @ 0.85 A. Which would mean I have to drive it with 22-24V @ 0.85 A from the datasheet?

yes.

forreason
another Question that I have:
Some of the Steppers I got are Unipolar. Which should result in less torque at lower speeds but higher torque for higher speeds. Can I as well just hook up a unipolar stepper driver?

Some unipolar stepper motors have the center taps of each coil joined.. you can't use these with standard stepper drivers. (unless you modify the stepper motor)
If they are not joined, they work fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 06:38AM by Dust.
January 22, 2019 10:52AM
Okay so for my understanding, would the short wiring diagram be correct? Do I need different drivers to power Unipolar motor in unipolar mode rather than bipolar?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login