Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

P802MA stepper motor skipping, voltages?

Posted by SagiC 
P802MA stepper motor skipping, voltages?
June 08, 2020 06:00PM
Hi everyone! I have an Anet A8 clone, a P802MA, an I've been having trouble with the extruder motor skipping while printing PETG.
For the most part its fine, but throughout the print it will skip steps at random during fast perimeters and such.

The stepper models 17hd40005-22b, and what I've had to do so far is pump up the driver voltage to increase the torque. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with what kinda of values I can use...

The factory voltage that was set is 0.826V on the driver, and I have it at 0.96V in order to get minimal skipping. Understandably, the motor now gets pretty hot, so I mounted a small fan/heatsink on it to keep it cool.

Am I ok running it like this? is there something else I'm missing that may be causing the problem??

other details:
Overture brand yellow PETG, extruder at 240C
Max speed is 60mm/s on the prints
Doesn't seem to be much back tension on the filament
Re: P802MA stepper motor skipping, voltages?
June 08, 2020 08:41PM
I am using similar stepper motors at 0.450v and have never felt them getting hot.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
June 08, 2020 10:49PM
Roberts_Clif
I am using similar stepper motors at 0.450v and have never felt them getting hot.

Well, I don't suspect they would at half the voltage I'm using, that's significantly less power.
I want to know if I'm just going to kill the motor, or is keeping it cool with a heatsink going to prevent that?
June 09, 2020 09:00AM
To answer your question If you run your steppers cool they will last longer, than if you run them hot.

When running steppers motors too hot they tend to burn up.

Computer Programmer / Electronics Technician
June 09, 2020 05:28PM
Roberts_Clif
To answer your question If you run your steppers cool they will last longer, than if you run them hot.

When running steppers motors too hot they tend to burn up.

Ok, so as long as I keep it cool, it will be ok

The heatsink is doing a great job with that, so hopefully its good. If it dies, they are cheap at least.

Thanks for the advice
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login