Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need a stepper driver recommendation

Posted by wacoe96 
Need a stepper driver recommendation
July 07, 2013 11:20PM
So I have some Wantai 42BYGHW811 wantai.com and I was wondering what stepper drivers to use with them to make them work.
Using Sanguinololu 1.3a.

I need 8 total so good deals are appreciated.
Re: Need a stepper driver recommendation
July 19, 2013 09:38AM
Why wouldn't you just use Pololu Stepper Driver Boards?

These use A4988 stepper chips.
July 19, 2013 12:53PM
Because 4988 will not do anywhere near 2.5 amps (Motors rated max), or 2 amps for that matter without serious heatsink and fans. You could get the 4988 black edition boards from Pololu that do a little better and might get you all the way to 2 amps with heatsink and fans, or 1.2 without. They would be $10 each at pololu. The next step up would be the DRV8825 boards that will go up to 2.2 amps with heatsink and fan 1.5 amps without. Pololu sells them for $12 each. You could save a dollar each if you get the MD20a version but you'll have to hack the board a bit to get them to run on Sanguinololu.

Or you could get a beta board of Sanguish for the price of Pololu's alone and reach 2 amps easy. smiling smiley
July 21, 2013 05:52AM
Well said, but motors will run with less current than the specified maximum rating just fine. Essentially, the question is, what does the OP mean with "make them work". Work in which application? On a printer, on a milling machine?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login