Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steppers

Posted by Adam.m.Nelson 
Steppers
December 31, 2009 02:20PM
OK, I've given up searching the build pages. The Mendel uses Nema 17 motors, correct?
Re: Steppers
December 31, 2009 04:57PM
Yes, NEMA 17's or NEMA 14's, though NEMA 17's are easier to find and acquire with enough torque.
December 31, 2009 07:16PM
you will need a nema17 for the extruder, one with a good 0.4Nm (57 oz.in, 4Kg.cm) of torque preferably. there have been *heaps* of posts about trouble with the pinch-wheel extruder and insufficient torque. disclaimer: I haven't made mine just yet, but I have splined the shaft of one motor.

The axis motors don't have to be quite so strong, but you may as well get strong motors for all axes since a stronger motor helps with imperfectly aligned construction and other issues.
December 31, 2009 08:03PM
ok thanks guys. The stepper i was using doesn't have enough torque, lol.
February 13, 2010 06:21PM
Trying to build a Mini Mendel, It will only use the Nema 14 motors. Do you think I could get away with using this stepper? [www.phidgets.com]

Adrian sugjests 1400 g/cm and this one gets 1275 g/cm. The mini Mendel should be lighter in all 3 axises, so maybe I an get away with it.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
February 22, 2010 02:04PM
You can always sacrifice speed for torque with any motor by sorting out the correct gear ratios. You can't have both though from smaller motors.

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login