Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motor controller

Posted by rockydean 
Stepper motor controller
October 05, 2014 03:32AM
Model code: MT34FN30135M801 Rated voltage: 3.71 volts Phase current:3.50 amps Phase resistance: 1.06 ohms Phase inductance: 4.35 mH Holding Torque: 4.50N

The above is the stepper motor specifications that I procured from EVER ELECTRONICA. I need to design the controller for this stepper motor. I would be using this stepper motor to manipulate the vertical position of the sample holder in ultra high vacuum conditions. I am a total novice in the subject related to stepper motor. however I decided to take a step further by designing the power supply for the driver. Can you tell me the voltage and current ratings of the power supply that I should use for this stepper motor? Thanks in advance.

Re: Stepper motor controller
October 05, 2014 05:36AM
so many views but no solution. Can anybody pls help me?
October 05, 2014 06:42AM
October 05, 2014 03:05PM
Ok buddy, I promise. no colored text. So now can I have the solution pls.?
October 05, 2014 11:46PM
You need to decide on the stepper driver you purchase prior to building a power supply.
For maximum speed you would need a 65 volt supply due to the high inductance of that motor.
Drivers rated that high are expensive and probly not needed.
You can get reasonable drivers rated at 50 volts which will give good speeds but allways run lower than stated maximum.
If speed is not a factor you can run an even lower voltage.
You won't need many amps with this motor. A 3 amp supply would be more than enought.
Supply does not have to be regulated but it needs to supply reasonably smooth volts at the required amps.

Hope this helps
George
October 06, 2014 04:01AM
Imho 4mH is not *that* high inductance, and it certainly does not look like a high inductance motor type. So imho you could just buy a 24v power supply from ebay or use a 12v atx one.
The 3.5A per phase in case of 2 phases goes to double because the driver feeds both coils at same time, maybe in opposite directions, but still "at same time" (not intermittently). But that 3.5A is max current, you dont have to hit the max because thats what "max" word means, just stay below that. However you would still need a serious stepper driver unit for it if you want full power because the mechanical power delivered by the motor depends solely on the current level, which again depends only on the driver (presuming psu can deliver). But how much power/torque you really need, that depends on your application. Hard to say from verbal descrition but to manipulate a sample holder probably a nema17 motor could be enough.
October 07, 2014 05:43AM
I suggest you search eBay for a stepper motor driver that can handle around 3.5A. Something like [www.ebay.co.uk] which has a 3.3A setting.

I'm guessing that you will be moving the sample holder at slow speeds, in which case a 12V supply would be sufficient. But go for 24V if you want the possibility of higher speeds. The static power dissipation of that motor is about 25W maximum. Allowing for the power increasing when the motor is moving, and losses in the stepper driver, a 100W power supply should be more than enough. You can get a 12V or 24V 100W supply on eBay as well, e.g. [www.ebay.co.uk].

I suspect that for that application, you don't need such a powerful stepper motor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 13, 2014 10:10AM
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I am working on these suggestions. I will keep posting the developments.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login