Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual shaft stepper motors for Mendel?

Posted by TC 
TC
Dual shaft stepper motors for Mendel?
April 19, 2010 08:40PM
I'm trying to get all the parts to do a Mendel build (my first). Does anyone know if it is okay to use dual shaft stepper motors for Mendel? Are there any mechanical interference or other issues that might be of concern?

I wasn't able to come to a conclusive answer from the WiKi or the forum posts that I searched.

Thanks!

TC
Re: Dual shaft stepper motors for Mendel?
April 20, 2010 04:21AM
I have used dual shaft motors on mine without any issues.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 22, 2010 11:24AM
I notice that the build documentation recommends using dual shaft motors, but I don't understand why? What is the second shaft used for? Is there plans to incorporate rotary encoders on the steppers at some point in the development?
September 02, 2010 09:15PM
CrawlerLogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there
> plans to incorporate rotary encoders on the
> steppers at some point in the development?

not to my knowledge. I see on the stepper-motor page what you refer to. Below that is a list of acceptable motors, both dual and single shaft. It must have been an oversight.
VDX
September 03, 2010 03:04AM
... the second shaft is really good for ataching knobs for manual moving the motors out of the end-switches or other faults too winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 03, 2010 09:33PM
One of the other reasons for using dual-shaft motors is if you need to modify them (eg: splining, flats on shafts, etc).

With a dual shaft, you can put one shaft in the a vice, and the other can be worked on without the shaft rotating. Always remember to cover up the shaft entry with tape/blu-tac so that filings and scarp do NOT end up in the motor bearings.

That said, if you're using pulleys/gears like the ones on the Issac or made by Nophead (with a grubscrew to lock it in place), this isn't so much of an issue, or if the steppers have a D-shaft (already has a flat), then you can easily get away with single shaft steppers in many cases.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login