Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motor Only Moves in One Direction!

Posted by joshuafkon 
Motor Only Moves in One Direction!
June 08, 2015 11:52AM
Hello!

I'm working on getting my machine up and running using Marlin firmware - but I'm having some problems. The X-axis motor only moves to the left. This is slightly complicated by the fact that I'm using Powerlolu stepper motor drivers

I have searched this forum and tried some of the suggestions with no luck so far -

• I have removed all the endstops and jumped the endstop pins together - sending M119 shows that all the endstops are open
  • I have tried using the RAMPSTestCode.pde (everything lights up but the motor only moves in one direction)
  • I've even switched out my motors and tried a different RAMPs board.

Does anyone have any experience with the powerlolu stepper driver? I suspect I'm wiring that incorrectly?

I'm particularly unclear about the circled GND and Voltage - I interpreted that wiring diagram as saying that if I'm using an external power supply (which I am - 24V) then don't use those lines at all
Thanks!
Re: Motor Only Moves in One Direction!
June 08, 2015 01:28PM
joshuafkon
I'm particularly unclear about the circled GND and Voltage - I interpreted that wiring diagram as saying that if I'm using an external power supply (which I am - 24V) then don't use those lines at all
Thanks!

That is correct.
June 08, 2015 01:36PM
So, I've been able to get the motor to move in the other direction - sort of. If I switch The AB wires in either of the phases then the motor will move counter-clockwise (but still only that direction)
June 09, 2015 03:18PM
Marlin will not allow you to move any further in a negative direction than your starting point until you've performed a home. I'm not sure if eliminating your end stops will get around this. I'd put the endstops back in play, enter a home command and trip each end stop manually to see if that gives you freedom of movement.

If you move your motors in a positive direction, can you then move them in the opposite direction back to their starting point - if so then that's normal behavior. If you can't move then back ever, then there is something else that's wroing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login