Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with steppers for Kossel mini

Posted by Wiireless 
Help with steppers for Kossel mini
October 31, 2015 05:04AM
Hi guys,
Repraps have recently caught my eye and I have been planning to build one soon.
So for now I have been furiously sourcing for parts.
I plan on building a standard size (240mm x 600mm) Kossel Mini with 2020 rails and so far the search for parts have been going well except for the steppers.
I've been told to avoid "cheap" steppers but to be honest, I dont really know the definition of "cheap" for NEMA 17 steppers.
I have been searching through aliexpress and ebay for possible options (preferrable those offering free shipping to my place as shipping services costs a bomb)
So far I have come across the 17HS4401, which is this: 17HS4401
and also the , which is this: 42SHD0217-24B

I am looking to purchase the first one, however I am not really sure about the holding torque, which is rated at 40N.cm, which seems quite low.

Do you think I can get away with purchasing the 17HS4401?
Thank you for your help
Cheers! smiling smiley
Re: Help with steppers for Kossel mini
October 31, 2015 05:50AM
If you are planning to use A4988 drivers with 1/16 microstepping, I would consider 0.9° steppers for better accuracy.
DRV8825 steppers work well with 1.8° steppers, but would benefit from the "decay hack" to do powerfull microstepping at slow RPM.
( which is common on deltas )
Both, 0.9° steppers and DRV8825 drivers would be splendid, but require a 32bit controller for high print speed.
-Olaf
October 31, 2015 06:38AM
Hi, thanks for the reply!
If I choose to stick with 1.8 degree steppers, is a holding torque of 40N.cm enough?
I read somewhere that the holding torque only affects the printing speed, whereby more torque leads to higher acceleration and thats all.
If so then those should be fine right?
October 31, 2015 06:59AM
Theese: [www.omc-stepperonline.com]

I have them for XYZ-axis on my delta, bought them on recommendation from a very active member of theese forums, dc42.
October 31, 2015 07:08AM
Either of those stepper motors should work OK. The 42SHD0217-24B is better, both because it has higher torque (0.5Nm vs 0.4Nm) and a lower rated current that is more suited to common stepper motor drivers (1.5A vs. 1.7A).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 31, 2015 10:34AM
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for the reply, helped alot!

Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login