Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet compatible steppers

Posted by Gaou 
Duet compatible steppers
January 06, 2016 11:16AM
Guys i was on my way to make a new 3d printer like the one ( mendel ) i have bought from rpp. Some days ago i was asking about the ramps as i needed a board for contrtolling the printer but rpp came with a big offer replying to one of my many mails and so i bought a second duet pcb. The problem is that rpp closed it's shop so i am out there looking for some steppers.

The steppers that rpp mendel is using are jk42hs34-1334a which are 1.8 and 5mm shaft and 0.3amps at 12v . I asked stepperonline to come with an alternative and they send me a mail with some steppers that has similar specs. Being a newbie at the sports i was wondering if it would be a problem for duet to drive this steppers ? if not do i have to set something different to duet ? The new motors are rated to 12v-24v while the old ones are rated to 12v-36v.

alternative to previous motors 17HS13-0404S

Manufacturer Part Number 17HS13-0404S
Motor Type Bipolar Stepper
Step Angle 1.8°
Holding Torque 26Ncm(36.8oz.in)
Rated Current/phase 0.4A
Phase Resistance 30ohms
Recommended Voltage 12-24V
Inductance 37mH±20%(1KHz)

previous motors JK42HS34-1334

Model: JK42HS34-1334
phase : 2
Step Angle : 1.8°
Motor length: 34mm
voltage : 12 V
Rated Current : 0.3A
Rated Power:5 W
Holding torque : 2.2kg.cm
Temperature Rise:80℃max
Ambient Temperature:-20℃~+50℃
Insulation Resistance:100 MΩMin. ,500VDC
Dielectric Strength:500VAC for 1minute
Shaft Radial Play:0.02Max. (450g-load)
Shaft Axial Play:0.08Max. (450g-load)
Max. radial force:28N (20mm from the flange)
Max. axial force: 10N

so i want to proceed on the purchase but i would like to hear ur opininion on this .

Be well guys and happy printing.
Re: Duet compatible steppers
January 06, 2016 07:28PM
You have the specifications of the motors supplied by RepRapPro wrong. See [www.aliexpress.com] for the correct spec. This motor [www.omc-stepperonline.com] is a close match.

For the Duet (as with most other 3D printer electronics), you should choose motors with rated currents in the range 1.3 to 1.7A.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 07, 2016 03:04AM
dc42
You have the specifications of the motors supplied by RepRapPro wrong. See [www.aliexpress.com] for the correct spec. This motor [www.omc-stepperonline.com] is a close match.

For the Duet (as with most other 3D printer electronics), you should choose motors with rated currents in the range 1.3 to 1.7A.

thanks a lot . i will order 5 of them .
January 08, 2016 03:06AM
Maybe to late to reconsider, but my delta with duet 0.6 and 0.9° steppers were a whole new world.
-Olaf
January 08, 2016 04:29AM
no its not too late but what do you mean by that ? what difference would it make if i had 0.9 deggre steppers ? is it better resolution or more than this ? I am a newbie at 3d printing and i dont have the mechanical and electronics knowledge to think of changes like this . it seems an everest to me to go from 1.8 to 0.9 but if you say it is worth then i have to consider it .
January 08, 2016 06:46AM
Gaou
no its not too late but what do you mean by that ? what difference would it make if i had 0.9 deggre steppers ? is it better resolution or more than this ? I am a newbie at 3d printing and i dont have the mechanical and electronics knowledge to think of changes like this . it seems an everest to me to go from 1.8 to 0.9 but if you say it is worth then i have to consider it .

With 0.9deg steppers, the step size is half the size of standard 1.8deg steppers, so you get double the resolution. On a delta printer where the Z steps/mm is not very high (typically 80 or 100 microsteps/mm using x16 microstepping), this improves print quality a little. However, on a Cartesian printer it's unlikely to make any visible difference, because the Z axis is generally driven by a leadscrew or threaded rod so the steps/mm is already very high, giving more than enough resolution with 1.8deg motors.

0.9deg steppers cost a little more than 1.8deg steppers, and are best used with 24V power supplies. Some electronics struggle to drive them fast enough in some configurations, but the Duet is fast enough.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 06:49AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 08, 2016 12:36PM
thanks david once more...!
January 13, 2016 01:46AM
i am ready to purchase the steppers and i just wanted to be sure once more . So with these steppers the duet would work without the need of modifications either on software ( firmware ) or the hardware, isn't it David ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 02:28AM by Gaou.
January 14, 2016 03:21AM
If you are referring to the stepper motors that I linked to in my earlier reply, then yes. I use one of them in the extruder drive of my delta.

January 14, 2016 04:26AM
thanks david . i purchased them and wait to see if the parcel would go into customs ( thing that i am afraid a lot)
January 25, 2016 10:35AM
Hello folks . I was just checking my new motors and for wiring them to duet. As i 've read polarity and which coil is which counts. So i have two pairs and want them to plug them in the duet . Are there any tips or it is just try and find ?

Also i want to extend the cables and was thinking of using ide flat cables or utp is this ok ?

Last but not least rpp was sending a piece of metal to shield the motor looms . Do i need one for every motor ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 12:56AM by Gaou.
January 25, 2016 03:34PM
Pick two motor wires and short them together, then see if that has made the motor harder to spin by hand. If it does then you have found a coil pair. If not, pick a different pair of wires and try again.

Any cable that can carry the motor current is suitable. RRP only used shielded cable because they wanted to claim CE certification for the assembled printer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login