Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help Finding Drive/Controller

Posted by sullivnc 
Help Finding Drive/Controller
March 29, 2016 07:07AM
Hi all,

I'm looking for help locating a drive for a stepper motor. It is an 8-lead, 2-phase motor, with a max operating voltage of 120 V DC and an operating current of 10 A/phase. I'm looking for something simple, all I need to be able to do is turn the motor on and off, and to have it run in one direction at a constant speed. We've been wrestling with this thing for months now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Help Finding Drive/Controller
March 29, 2016 09:11AM
You're going to need a power supply, a driver, and something to generate the signals to drive it. That's a lot of messing around and expense for something that just needs to turn. Do you have some other performance specs you need to meet? You can probably buy a used motor that runs on 117 or 240 vac a lot cheaper than getting all that other stuff.

How fast does it have to go? What sort of load will you be applying to the motor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 09:16AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 29, 2016 09:31AM
The motor was already purchased by our electrician without consulting me. The reason for buying this particular motor is that it offers the torque we need and can also operate under ultra-high vacuum. Part of the problem is that my company runs all Macs and refuses to get away from them. We have a Phytron MSD Mini 172-140 Powerpack that has thus far been completely useless. The people at Phytron have been no help whatsoever, and there's no information that I have been able to find on generating the necessary signals for the drive.
March 29, 2016 07:52PM
You can generate the signals with an Arduino board if all you want to do is get it turning. Without knowing any other requirements no one can tell you what driver or power supply to use.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 30, 2016 02:38AM
Can you provide a link to the datasheet for that motor?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 30, 2016 06:46AM
[ftp.phytron.de]

It's listed on here. If you scroll down to "Dimensions/Electrical and Mechanical Characteristics," it's the 100.200.10 version.
March 30, 2016 09:29AM
The datasheet says the rated current is 10A and the resistance is 0.23 ohms, per phase. However, from other information on the datasheet, I think that assumes parallel connection. As you have the 8-wire version, you could use series connection instead, which would bring the rated current down to 5A, the phase resistance up to 0.92 ohms and the static coil voltage to 4.6V. That is within the range of the low-cost TB6600-based drivers you find on eBay. You would need a power supply of between 24 and 48V depending on how fast you want to spin the motor and how high the load will be.

Please note, I have not used these drivers, so I don't know how good they are or how much additional cooling they need to run up to their 5A rated current (some of those drivers claim only 4A). However, unless you need the maximum torque, you can (and should) run them well below their rated current anyway, perhaps at 3A or 3,5A.

For really high speeds and/or loads, you would need a driver capable of higher voltage operation, up to the 120V rating of the motor.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login