Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

powerlolu ordering

Posted by yoyobob19 
powerlolu ordering
April 21, 2016 02:58PM
So while i was planning out my 3d pirnter project i realized i could not avoid the powerlolu. So i found the pcb files and sent then in for a quote at a pcb plant. So long story short if anyone is interested in joining in for an order of powerlolu boards and (possibly) components. Because the more people that are interested the cheaper they become. Please leave a reply in this thread thanks !!

High Power Pololu Board (Powerlolu) based on A4989 - can be connected to RAMPS Pololu port.

Powerlolu can drive stepper motors up to 500 Watts, drawing currents up to 10 Amps.

The existing Pololu boards found in common RepRap 3D printers are at their limits when driving the 2 Nema17 z-axis stepper motors in parallel. Continuous z-axis movement can cause the board to overheat. These boards hardly drive stepper motors bigger than a Nema17. To avoid overheating or to drive larger motors a more powerful driver board is needed.

The Powerlolu board enables the use of bigger stepper motors for a wide range of uses. This could be the conversion of manual milling machines into computer controlled milling machines (CNC-Machines) using the affordable electronics such as Arduino and RAMPS. Building 3D printers with a larger print volume or with larger extruders would be possible.

Also i would like to thank the creators of the Powerlolu !!!
I have attached the qoute. Some food for thought its 4 dollars a board if we have 150 orders. So help me help you ?????
4412803.pdf
Re: powerlolu ordering
April 21, 2016 04:30PM
also may offer assembling them too if enough are ordered
April 21, 2016 07:01PM
yoyobob19
The existing Pololu boards found in common RepRap 3D printers are at their limits when driving the 2 Nema17 z-axis stepper motors in parallel. Continuous z-axis movement can cause the board to overheat. These boards hardly drive stepper motors bigger than a Nema17. To avoid overheating or to drive larger motors a more powerful driver board is needed.

Connecting two Z motors in parallel and driving them from a single Pololu driver is a very stupid thing to do. People only do it because they don't know any better and RAMPS makes it easy to do. The types of motor generally used in RepRaps should be connected in series instead. The better designs do this, the cheap kits don't.

But you are right in that Pololu drivers don't handle bigger motors well, so more powerful drivers are needed in those applications.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 21, 2016 07:08PM
Yep so i found this magically thing and i was like will this solves my problems but i cant find any to buy. So i was like well i might as well put my engineering school to use lol
April 21, 2016 07:13PM
You can buy more powerfully stepper motor driver modules on eBay quite easily. But don't let that stop you making your own if you want the experience.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 21, 2016 07:21PM
the cost of getting 10 amps driver is insane.....
April 21, 2016 08:30PM
Do you need 10A drivers? Are you driving NEMA-34 motors in parallel?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 21, 2016 09:01PM
not really just building a smaller prototype ( still pretty big) as a proof of concept for the much bigger one and for the sake of having a functional machine for my kick starter. I would much rather test my electronic circuitry and such before going full out on my swiss army knife of prototyping
April 24, 2016 01:18AM
But yes i will be eventually driving nema 34 motors on the x axis... since it has to function as a cnc mill too and its going to have a build area of 1m^3
April 27, 2016 10:21PM
Did you make the order yet? I'm interested in maybe 6 or 7 of them if you are ordering over 50.

Thanks
April 27, 2016 10:29PM
Well Good news I have ordered about 20 boards. I now need to complete my BOM for Digikey to finish. Would you want the bare boards or the completed one? Cause i can ship out the bare boards tomorrow
April 27, 2016 11:30PM
Any ways just got the boards in today and they look amazing and i also finished the bom.

Any ways please PM me on offers and such
I will build a pick and place machine in 3 weeks then after that I will making these and some smoothie boards to help fund my project. cheers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2016 04:29AM by yoyobob19.
April 27, 2016 11:31PM
If you have an request for silk screen color and such please let me know !!
August 23, 2016 08:56AM
Hi I am thinking about ordering powerlolu boards. I am curious as to what was the final cost for the 20 completed powerlolu boards?
September 20, 2016 07:21PM
Is there still a possibility of ordering the board either complete or bare + parts?
September 26, 2016 10:51PM
yes i still have around 15 boards and i can always order the conponants from digikey if needed
September 26, 2016 10:57PM
it cost me roughly 30 dollars a board when i made 2 of them including the 2 i messed up because i wasn't great at SMD soldering yet.... Sorry guys i was in training camp for college so i been pretty busy lately. but ill promise to respond to pm and emails !!
September 26, 2016 10:58PM
as of now i can only offer boards and parts because i dont have the time to make them because im currently in football season ...
May 23, 2019 02:54PM
By any chance you have some boards left. I would like to buy them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login