Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with Project List

Posted by jr9820 
Help with Project List
April 26, 2016 02:16PM
I am a diy guy but haven't had experience with motors, programming, etc so I've been researching online how and what to buy for my project. Confusing to say the least. I am trying to create a self emptying water bowl that will turn once per day and return back into the same upright location. The bowl is not very big nor heavy so I don't need large motors.
My question is. If I want a motor to turn 180 or 360 degrees but return or stop in the same beginning spot. I thought a step motor would be best but am confused as everything beyond this. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Re: Help with Project List
April 26, 2016 06:50PM
You could also look at servos, which are bidirectional DC motors with limited rotational movement.

But, if it was me, I'd set up the bowl with an off-centre axle and a small counter-weight or spring. So when the bowl is full it will want to tip, and when it is empty it will want to be upright. Then (assuming it was full) you could just release a catch (with e.g. a solenoid or electromagnet) whenever you wanted it to empty.

But this really isn't a RepRap question.
May 04, 2016 08:30AM
A servo would be a better idea, they know where they are position wise, but has less than 360 degree movement
With this you could just tell it to move to position A to be flat and position B to empty

A stepper has 360 degree movement but no idea where it is position wise, you need things like end stops so it knows where its at or how far to move
On power on you need to work out where you are, so you move until it hits a endstop, from there you can move n steps to get to the next positions then n step back in the other direction to move back.

you also need to get familiar with programming the arduino [www.arduino.cc]
Here is an eg that is almost what you want with a servo motor [www.arduino.cc]
Just need to add in some time code

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2016 08:41AM by Dust.
May 04, 2016 11:17PM
Control a Stepper Motor using an Arduino, a Joystick and the Easy Driver

[www.youtube.com]

Timing code in arduino can replace joystick

belt connected to hinged bowl to tilt over

confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login