Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Resisting Voltage from Power Stage

Posted by sullivnc 
Resisting Voltage from Power Stage
May 25, 2016 07:20AM
Hi all,

I have a power stage proving power to a stepper motor.

[ftp.phytron.de]

This power stage, the MSD Mini Powerpack 172-140, outputs a constant 140V DC, with no user-friendly way to reduce it. My motor has a run current of 10A/phase, so I have the drive current potentiometer set for 10.2A. It has a maximum operating voltage of 120V DC (hence my problem). It is an 8-lead, 2-phase motor, wired in parallel. Pins 1 & 2 on the power stage are for phase 1 and pins 3 & 4 are for phase 2. My question is how to reduce the voltage from 140V DC to 120V DC (or a little less). My guess is that I need a resistor on each phase, rated for at least 1,400W, and at most 12 Ohms. I'm just unsure of where to place the resistors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Resisting Voltage from Power Stage
May 25, 2016 07:50AM
Stepper motors' torque specs are based on current, not voltage. The voltage value is simply the current x winding resistance. The current you set in the driver is the average value that will be delivered to the motor. You should not have to drop the voltage from the driver/power supply. As long as you set the current within the motor's spec, and as long as the supply is rated for higher voltage than the motor, it will be OK.

With smaller, lower voltage motors it is common to run the motor at 8-20X the voltage rating of the motor.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Resisting Voltage from Power Stage
May 25, 2016 03:07PM
sullivnc

This power stage, the MSD Mini Powerpack 172-140, outputs a constant 140V DC

In fact it doesn't, it will supply up to 140V, but less if the current limit is reached.

Your motor will run fine with a current limit set at 10A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 03:08PM by bobc.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login