Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Issues with Stepper

Posted by Ma_tits 
Issues with Stepper
July 04, 2016 02:14PM
Setup: Ramps 1.4 + Mega Chinese
Stepper: Holding Torque 76 oz, Resistance Per Phase 2.3ohm, 1.8 deg/ step, 4 wire bipolar, 1.4 A Max
Stepper Driver: A4988 Chinese

I compiled and inputted a test code to run all the steppers. Checked all the wiring, and checked the output of each stepper driver(500mA)

Okay so here is my problem. The stepper only vibrate when I have all three jumpers(1/6 step default for A4988) installed under the driver. I adjusted the current and nothing changes just a constant vibration. If I remove all the pins then the motor turn just fine in both directions. Test 2, I followed the wiki guide and left only the 3 jumper in place(1/16 step) , counting jumpers from left side of board where DC in to the 3 on the right if that makes sense. With the 3 jumper in place the motor turns just fine but has very little holding torque, it vibrates if I add pressure with my fingers.

What am I doing wrong here?
Re: Issues with Stepper
July 04, 2016 08:05PM
Many views but no help ! Well figured out the stepper issue.. The ramps is 1A-1B which is one coil and 2A-2B for the second which makes no sense you should only have to match the letters for a coil.

Problem 2: the steppers work now but only with a test code not with the Marlin firmware and repetier host ... They jerk, vibrate and whine with the host manual moments .
July 04, 2016 10:34PM
Try connecting to a different driver and test it again. If the problem follows the motor it is probably a motor wiring problem. If it doesn't you may have a bad driver. If it turns out to be the former, try swapping the wire connections to one motor coil. You can test if it's the latter by swapping a known good motor driver module in for the one under test.

Those motor driver modules are poorly designed (poor thermal performance, easily broken current adjust pot, difficult to know what the actual set current is, easy to short out traces on the board, etc.) and you may kill a few of them before you get your printer set up- better get some spares.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 04, 2016 11:26PM
The drivers and steppers all work with the Ramps Test Code...When I connect the printer to a host and try to manually move the axis the motors just whine. I even uploaded the marlin fireware with only changes to the thermistor type and still the same. M119 for endstops is correct. All endstops show open and triggered when pressed.
July 05, 2016 07:09AM
Well after hours of busting my head, I decided to uninstall the Aduino software and reinstall. Also did the same for Repetier and now everything works. Don't ask my why that has anything to do with it but I guess arduino wasn't properly uploading the code? No idea but problem solved.
July 05, 2016 08:11AM
Yeah, Arduino is like that. When you get tired of dealing with it, look into 32 bit controller boards. Far fewer problems and no Arduino IDE....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2016 08:21AM by the_digital_dentist.

July 05, 2016 10:11AM
I went with Ramps + Mega to kick off the project since I was familiar with the Arduino IDE but after this I am switching soon. Is there a board you recommend ?
July 05, 2016 01:02PM
I've had good results with SmoothieBoard. Duet looks pretty good, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login