Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nema 17 operating at 60°C - still ok?

Posted by Persephone 
Nema 17 operating at 60°C - still ok?
August 06, 2016 02:34PM
Hey everyone,

I`m currently using a direct drive bowden extruder with a NEMA 17 Motor (SM42HT38-1684AF) and DRV8825 stepper drivers. My whole printer is running in an enclosure, which heats up to about 40°C (necessary for larger ABS prints).

The temperature of the extruder motors chassis rises up to around 60°C, measured with an IR thermometer. Is this a tolerable temperature or am I risking long term damage of the stepper motor? I already attached a 40mm fan and turned the stepper drivers current just high enough, so the extruder won't miss any steps.

I read that the inside temperature of the stepper motor is about 30°C higher than the chassis temperature (so ~90°C at the inside in my case) and this particular motor can take a temperature rise of 80°C at an ambient temperature of up to 50°C. Does that mean the motor can handle up to 130°C and I'm still 40°C away before damaging the motor?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 02:36PM by Persephone.
Re: Nema 17 operating at 60°C - still ok?
August 29, 2016 04:46PM
I believe from spec-sheets I found that to be ok, but definitely not ideal. You should look up spec sheets yourself to verify though. Personally I'd cool that for sure!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login