Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Newbie" Can someone point me in the right direction?

Posted by Dakwally 
"Newbie" Can someone point me in the right direction?
August 07, 2016 08:37AM
I have barely worked with stepper motors at all. I did some basic programming in an EE class I took. If you guys could help me out and point me in the right direction I would much appreciate it.

Basically here is what I want to do. I need to be able to program a motor to switch between locations 12 o'clock 3 o'clock 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. And preferably quickly.
I am a videographer and the idea is the put a camera on top of the motor so that it can switch to the different location and film the subject at different sides of a square table.
Originally I had bought this motor [www.amazon.com]
and an arduino uno.

I was then told I need to also get a motor driver to connect them both...

My questions are such.

How do I know if the motor I bought is fast enough or has enough torque to hold and move a camera (relatively light weight). And if it is not a good motor where do I find a better one?

Does it matter what moto driver I purchase? There seem to be a large amount of choices... And am kind of overwhelmed by it.

I'm only familiar with the arduino so I'd like to use it, but is there something better I should be using as the controller.

Thanks fot the help guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2016 08:38AM by Dakwally.
Re: "Newbie" Can someone point me in the right direction?
August 07, 2016 02:17PM
Check out
MECHADUINO- CLOSED LOOP STEPPER SERVOS FOR EVERYONE

[hackaday.com]

The Arduino-sounding bit of the name comes from their full compatibility with the Arduino development environment. The brains of the board is the compatible, SAMD21 ARM M0+ chip. They wanted the board to be as accessible as possible. On top of this, it also allows the user to use any control algorithm they want for the board. Most industrial controllers are limited to PID control, for returning to the last sent position. Opening up the control allows for interesting applications, such as motors that behave like mass spring damper systems, or electronically gearing the input of one stepper to the output of another.

The board supports lots of standard communication protocols, but the acceptance of regular stepper inputs make it extra interesting. It can become a drop-in replacement for the motors on a normal CNC or 3D printer, which have full closed loop control as shown in the video after the break.

confused smiley
August 08, 2016 10:14AM
That look awesome!... But it doesn't look like I can get my hands on one any time soon...
August 08, 2016 04:52PM
OK

A NEMA 17 Stepper motor
Arduino uno ( nano)
easy driver
[www.sparkfun.com]
12v power supply

Wire it up, load code, have phun

[learn.sparkfun.com]

You could also hook up knob (potentiometer) to set position
[www.arduino.cc]

[www.youtube.com]

or use servos
[www.instructables.com]

Amazing what you find if you do a simple web search?

confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login