Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stepper wiring

Posted by MechaBits 
stepper wiring
August 14, 2016 06:39PM
I bought some busheng 17hd34008-22b nema17's with plugin leads, but the way they are colour coded is not same as my others, I realise the colour doesnt matter and assume they are wired to work, but before i plug them in I was wondering anyone have experience of them, do any of the pins need swapping...plug end is rbg k, the other motor end has wires relocated to r k bg....I assume they are wired to work as is, and depending on which way round I plug it in it work in either direction, but for neatness my extension leads obviously arent the same colour order, just being cautious.
Re: stepper wiring
August 15, 2016 01:56AM
There is an easy way to check. At the connector that will plug into the board, short together the two wires at one end of the connector, such as r and b in your case. This should make the motor shaft hard to turn. Similarly if you short together the two wires at the other end of the connector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 01:56AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 15, 2016 03:01AM
Cool thanks, seems things are wired to work 1&2 3&4 at the ramps end, this little tip will also help me sort out those other steppers that came with no connections, and the others with the wrong type of connectors, now to find a little break out board/junction box...I wouldnt mind changing the harwins for some other lockable connector on a board, the ones on your controller are lockable/latch type I think, but I need that between printer & controller, I think my electronics skills might just be able to build a little board to do the trick, but it might not be the neatest solution.
August 15, 2016 03:15PM
I agree, stepper motors should always be wired to the electronics with locking connectors. This improves printer reliability, and disconnecting a stepper motor that is powered up may blow the driver chip.

The connectors on the Duet series are locking Molex KK series connectors, and the mating connector part numbers are listed at [duet3d.com]. If you want to make up a breakout board, the corresponding PCB header part numbers are Molex 22-23-20x1 where x is the number of ways. Don't forget that it is usually better to connect two Z motors in series instead of in parallel.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 16, 2016 01:00AM
Thanks for the molex info are they slightly different from the 3 & 4 pin connectors that come on the endstops? or same, luckily I went with single Z motors on my printers, so far so good 3 different versions built 4th on the way, which will be the borg box, or core cube...not sure if it will be true coreXY, but so far I think even on that it will be single Z motor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 01:06AM by MechaBits.
August 16, 2016 08:30AM
MechaBits
Thanks for the molex info are they slightly different from the 3 & 4 pin connectors that come on the endstops?

Which endstops? Endstop wires often come with non-locking black Dupont-style sockets on the end. They will mate with Molex KK headers, but they won't lock in place.

August 16, 2016 01:55PM
just the normal 4 pins for the mech endstop which lock, and the 3pin opto ones which also lock, but as you say your molex ones fit but lock differently, but I have the answer the molex are different from these, cheers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login