Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thinking about increasing motor voltage

Posted by Vuokko 
Thinking about increasing motor voltage
August 21, 2016 08:10AM
My 12V PSU gave up and maybe it is time to increase the voltage.

I'm wondering. if I use 24V volts for motors and about 1A avg current with tmc2100 driver, do I really get double output from motor or what do I get?

Simple physics says F= BxI, where F is force, B is magnetic field and I is current. Also P = RI2 and again no voltage there. If the I is average and R is impedance which is defined by DC resistance and inductive impedance of the coil. The higher voltage is only increasing rise and fall times as it is driving harder the motor.

But does the magic inside tmc2100 compensate the increased rise time and I only get more heat when the current is the one ampere?

I know I must be somehow wrong and I didn't make the full calculations.
Re: Thinking about increasing motor voltage
August 21, 2016 05:02PM
What you get from increasing the driver supply voltage is that the motor torque is maintained up to higher movement speeds. This is particularly useful for delta printers using 0.9deg/step motors. The drivers use chopper control to provide the same drive current whether you are using 12V or 24V.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2016 05:04PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Thinking about increasing motor voltage
August 23, 2016 04:07PM
The formula for P should be P=(RL+XL)*I2 so there is a bit of complexity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 04:10PM by o_lampe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login