Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TB6600 4A steeper motor drive : what controller?confused smiley

Posted by Bobyni 
TB6600 4A steeper motor drive : what controller?confused smiley
October 19, 2016 07:54PM
Dear all,
I am planning the build of my second printer Cartesian replicator type.
Since I am planning to use some automation scraps from my work, I would need to RN my X and Y most likely with Nema23.
The DRV 8825 or 4289 are out of equation, so I am seeing the affordable eBay TB6600 4A stepper driver.
The controller that I have on hand are Melzi and Ramps 1.4 since Melzi.
Melzi is out, then is my Ramps capable to run the TB6600? I remember seeing a review that the pulse sent from ramps/ arduino were too short
Making it unsuitable to run bigger external driver.
is this right?
If the above is correct, then what other controller could run external driver?
MKS Sbase 1.3
Smoothie x4
Due+ Radds
Duet Wifi
???!!

Now, my preference would be the MkS Sbase due to the cost.
Then I would go for Radds since I have a Due..,,,,,,,

I need some guidance.
I know may be my info is not enough, since what Nema23 what voltage torque...etc
But, I think I need to know what controller could run the stepper drive and then I would know what stepper motor I need..?

All feedback are welcome!!
Thanks slot in advance!!!
Re: TB6600 4A steeper motor drive : what controller?confused smiley
October 19, 2016 10:31PM
Well, may be I didn't digg deep. The Ramps could run it...
Found the post from Italian forum!

October 20, 2016 04:16AM
What microstepping do your external drivers support? You may find Arduino/RAMPS too slow to drive them at high microstepping, meaning you will have to either reduce microstepping and accept increased noise, or reduce maximum travel speed. See [reprap.org].

Duet and Duet WiFi can both drive external stepper drivers from the expansion bus (4 for the Duet, 5 for the Duet WiFi) - although the Duet WiFi is probably overkill for your application because you wouldn't be using the nice on-board TMC2660 drivers. In theory you should level-shift the step, dir and enable signals to 5V, but users report that they seem to run just fine from the 3.3V signals on the expansion connector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2016 04:21AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2016 09:02AM
Thanks DC42,
I can see that.
It all comes down what I want as print quality, speed ...
One thing that still puzzles me is why we can not run our printer directly from a PC...
Without a secondary brain....
Since the PC is so powerful this days, why there's nothing out there that you can just connect PC to stepper driver......
I guess, it is about the cost of developing such SW, HW that we won't be able to afford

DC, does the Duetwifi accept encoder/DC motor?

As always, your reply is well appreciated!
October 20, 2016 09:32AM
Bobyni
One thing that still puzzles me is why we can not run our printer directly from a PC...
Without a secondary brain....
Since the PC is so powerful this days, why there's nothing out there that you can just connect PC to stepper driver......
I guess, it is about the cost of developing such SW, HW that we won't be able to afford

It's because PCs don't run real time operating systems, so they can't guarantee to keep up with the printer; and they don't have the right sort of I/O to interface directly to stepper motor drivers, heaters, temperature sensors etc.

Bobyni
DC, does the Duetwifi accept encoder/DC motor?

Only if it comes as a module that accepts step and direction signals. We may yet make an expansion board for the Duet WiFi that drives BLDC motors with encoders, if/when we can identify suitable inexpensive BLDC motors. I don't think ordinary DC motors would be a good choice because the brushes would wear out too quickly in a 3D printer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 20, 2016 07:18PM
Great info DC!!
Thanks for taking the time to reply back!!!
Yes , they are expensive for grl. Consumers.
They are all over in the robotic industry running with all sort of application and field.
October 21, 2016 09:20AM
dc42
We may yet make an expansion board for the Duet WiFi that drives BLDC motors with encoders, if/when we can identify suitable inexpensive BLDC motors.

That's good news!
Depending on the driver chip, "camera gimbal" motors could be a good starting point, but they are not as cheap as NEMA17 steppers. ( and never will )
October 27, 2016 04:16AM
Dear sir, Ramps can work with TB6600, but it shuold be with MKS CD.
The A4988 and DRV8825 can run the stepper drive and you need 4042, and you shuol use 12V supply power.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login