Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are some ways to decrease stepper motor noise and vibration?

Posted by Draytology 
What are some ways to decrease stepper motor noise and vibration?
January 14, 2017 09:21PM
I have been tuning my set up for a few weeks now and have most of it dialed in. But, I still don't have my steppers operating like I want them to. They work fine but I want to decrease the harsh changes of direction, especially for short length infill. I have gradually turned down the accelaration and jerk all the way to 750/2.5. In cura I have decresed my speeds to 30mm and 15 for infill and it is still jarring. Today I upraded my mounts and and couplers so it can handle it but I would really like it to get this sorted out. I want to make it cushion the changes in direction so i can turn the speed back up. Also, during starts of moves or transition of lines the motors will make a harsh shuddering vibration and then go back to moving smooth. That is by far the most annoying problem of all.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am going to try to post a copy of my configuration
Attachments:
open | download - My configuration.TXT (35.8 KB)
Re: What are some ways to decrease stepper motor noise and vibration?
January 14, 2017 09:21PM
I am running 1/32 microstepping btw.
January 14, 2017 10:27PM
If there is a mod in the building can you delete please. It told me it could not post because it thought I was a bot so I accidently doubled posted.
January 15, 2017 01:44AM
there are silent step sticks. 1/256 micro stepping (this is internal only, externally they are still 1/16 so work 8 bit controllers, but runs quiet)

[www.filastruder.com]

There is also RRD Silencioso - 128 microstep driver - Pololu compatible, real micro stepping... needs a 32 bit controller for anything over 1/32 micro stepping.

[www.reprapdiscount.com]

and im sure dc42 will chime in with his reply to everything about upgrading to his controller any moment now.
January 15, 2017 02:30AM
Yes I am actually looking for some new drivers. I want the 1/128 Pololu's so right now I am shopping around for the right 32 bit controller to control them. What controller will dc 42 recommend? Is it the re-arm controller? Because I looked it up and it looked good but I couldn't find where to buy it. I am going to keep reading up on different controllers so I don't get something and regret it. I just want a little more performance so I don't plan on spending too much.

BTW I guess I have been poking around in configuration h. too much. I started to think about what could cause the sputtering while watching it print and I realized I must have turned down the jerk setting too low and my motors were getting limited by the controller everytime they tried to accelerate. I turned it back up to 10 and it is running very smooth again. I have been doing some upgrades all day so now I can finally enjoy them.
January 15, 2017 03:10AM
re-arm has just completed its kick starter and is madly shipping out to all the backers.
The site is [www.panucatt.com]
I suspect he will be out of stock till all of those backers orders have been filled.
These are smoothieware compatibles boards and only run smoothie firmware
[smoothieware.org]

dc42 pushes duet wifi (he sells them, and screens and probes, or something like that.)
It does come with nice quiet TMC2660s Stepper drivers (onboard)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 03:13AM by Dust.
January 15, 2017 08:56AM
Dust
dc42 pushes duet wifi (he sells them, and screens and probes, or something like that.)
It does come with nice quiet TMC2660s Stepper drivers (onboard)

Just to be clear, it is the Duet WiFi and the forthcoming Duet Ethernet that have the TMC2660 drivers with 256x microstepping. See [www.duet3d.com]. The older Duet 0.6 and Duet 0.8.6 only do 16x microstepping.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login