Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do diagnose RUMBA board not moving extruder motor

Posted by bolsoncerrado 
How do diagnose RUMBA board not moving extruder motor
March 15, 2017 07:44AM
There comes the day a printer stops extruding and after a brief research I notice the extruder motor is not spining.

This is what I've found so far:

- X, Y, Z axis move flawless.
- Taking measurements on all the DRV potentiometers (green on the below image, X, Y, Z, E0, E1, E2 from right to left) and all of them get the same voltage.
- It's NOT a faulty motor. I temp placed it on the X axis and it just spins fine
- Wires are fine, all of them tested and motor was tested on X fine so wires are ok.
- In red the average volts I get by moving X, Y and Z back and forth
- In yellow the average volts I get when I try to extrude, no matter if I measure E0, E1 or E2
- Top left is the RUMBA pin assignment I'm currently using on Marlin 1.1RC7

So I need to know how to diagnose further, the drivers or whatever is causing this weird behaviour!
This is specially weird that only Ex are not working, specially E3, which I never used before! !??

So how do I proceed with troubleshooting this?!?

[i.imgur.com]

Thanks!
Re: How do diagnose RUMBA board not moving extruder motor
March 15, 2017 03:41PM
One further test... if you plug the X motor into the E0 connector, does it move?

However, I think this may actually be caused by software interlock? If the hot-end temperature is too low or too high, Marlin, Repetier, and I guess other firmware will refuse to extrude.

Look at the log/terminal window and see what the firmware is telling you.
March 15, 2017 03:45PM
No, i disabled "Cold extrusion prevention" in Marlin, so Im covered there.

And no, X motor won't spin either in the Ex connectors.
March 15, 2017 04:09PM
OK. There's no hardware reason why the extruder motors won't turn. So I still think it's a software problem. Marlin is working since the other motors work, so I think Marlin is intentionally stopping you from extruding. Look at the log/terminal window -- it should be telling you why.Maybe the thermistor is shorted so it's seeing a MAXTEMP rather than a low temperature? I don't know if this applies to Marlin, but Repetier checks that the temperature is increasing when the heater is on, and shuts down if not. Once an error is detected, you need to send an M999 to re-enable things.
March 15, 2017 04:19PM
Yeah Im using Octoprint to monitor and enable motors and terminal window shows no heating issues as I disabled them on Marlin straight. When in a printer I get a MAXTEMP or any other M999 error, as you say I need to restart the service and even reset the printer to get it back on. This is NOT the case. Extruder is simply ignoring me. And the weirdest part is "just" the THREE Extruder drivers, even one that I've never used, don't work.
March 15, 2017 09:21PM
Wasnt there a setting to FIRST ERASE the whole contents of AT2560 before reflashing? For my own sanity's sake!!!
March 16, 2017 06:37AM
I use "erase Eeprom" sample program in the Eprom folder of ArduinoIDE.
Also don't forget to send "M502 & M500 " after you reflashed firmware to make marlin read the new parameters ( M502 ) and store them to Eeprom ( M500 )
March 16, 2017 06:48AM
Anyhow the pinouts are not stored in EEPROM and nothing related to it in regards of stepper drivers and pins...
March 22, 2017 03:18PM
ANyone else can provide hints? grinning smiley
March 23, 2017 03:56AM
Did you check the Rumba board for cold solder joints or broken traces?
March 23, 2017 04:15AM
Well the board is not new, Id be surprised if at this point any broken traces (without moving the board) or cold points do appear (there are several fans near it). Is that even possible? Extruder was working fine to date.
March 26, 2017 04:44PM
Any1?
March 26, 2017 09:42PM
Its a SMD board, its dead/damaged, throw it out (unless you have the skills to do smd rework)

Its most likely either a dead mega chip or dead stepper drivers... which, does it mater?, you can't fix either.

as a Final test, download the ramps test program [reprap.org]

update the pins for x y and e for those on e0, e1 e2 on rumba

#define E0_STEP_PIN 23
#define E0_DIR_PIN 22
#define E0_ENABLE_PIN 24

#define E1_STEP_PIN 26
#define E1_DIR_PIN 25
#define E1_ENABLE_PIN 27

#define E2_STEP_PIN 29
#define E2_DIR_PIN 28
#define E2_ENABLE_PIN 39

run the test, if e0, e1 and e2 aren't all moving.. its dead. Get yourself a new board, put it aside to practice hot air rework on.
March 27, 2017 04:28AM
Thanks, Dust. How is that test script supposed to be executed?

Cheers.
March 27, 2017 05:36AM
You load it into the arduino ide. Compile it, and upload to your hardware

Its replacement firmware but it just moves the the steppers, and turns on mosfet. its not smart in any way...

NB This will wipe your current firmware, make sure you know enough to put it back.
December 28, 2017 03:47PM
Hi !
Did you find a solution ?
I have the same problem than you (with E0 E1 and E2)...

I have doubt about a hardware problem because I have two rumba (one was not used) and there is this problem on both board !
I go crazy...

Thanks !
December 28, 2017 03:56PM
No, never found a solution, I stiill have the RUMBa board tho....
December 29, 2017 04:15AM
Did either of you run the test firmware?
December 29, 2017 07:19AM
No I didnt, I refuse to believe a dirver I've never used is burned out for no reason....well, 3 in total. And the rest of the board works and communicates fine with the computer.
December 29, 2017 08:16PM
So refuses to run diagnostic software... right...

Good luck to you then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 08:58PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login