Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linear stepper motors

Posted by klcjr89 
Re: Linear stepper motors
April 23, 2018 03:02AM
Airplane wings are glued together with CA glue, why not glue rail and extrusion? You could use simple extrusion without T-slot and mill a guide into it for the rail.
VDX
April 23, 2018 03:53AM
... common CA glue is too brittle for this (thermal variances and vibration) - better 2K-glue with some dust or short fibers as additive ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 23, 2018 10:13AM
I would prefer not to glue anything, and I think other customers wouldn't either for disassembling and upgrading of machine.
VDX
April 23, 2018 10:29AM
... then either a row of screws into the rail (common use), or "clamping" inside the (split) extrusion with a row of screws through the extrusion ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

April 23, 2018 10:33AM
VDX
... then either a row of screws into the rail (common use), or "clamping" inside the (split) extrusion with a row of screws through the extrusion ...

I mentioned on the previous page that both options would not be acceptable.

klcjr89
No holes in the middle of the rail, one hole on each end could be permissible, but that leaves the center floating (not what I want at all).

No holes from the bottom of rail tapped, because this wouldn't really be adoptable on 3D printers if you have to drill a bunch of holes into the length of your extrusions precisely.
VDX
April 23, 2018 10:46AM
... but you have to fix the rail along the complete length, or it will bend or oscillate/clang with moved loads eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------

April 23, 2018 11:45AM
VDX
... but you have to fix the rail along the complete length, or it will bend or oscillate/clang with moved loads eye rolling smiley

Toe clamps were mentioned,

klcjr89
Some kind of toe clamp that clamps into a small groove along the length of the rail maybe?
VDX
April 23, 2018 11:52AM
... this would be similar to my "split extrusion clamp" suggestion winking smiley

Viktor
--------

April 28, 2018 01:26PM
VDX
... this would be similar to my "split extrusion clamp" suggestion winking smiley

Do you have a render or drawing of what that would look like? I can't visualize it. Thanks!
VDX
April 28, 2018 01:57PM
... here's a fast sketch to show the difference between common fixature and clamping inside of a split extrusion:

Viktor
--------

April 28, 2018 03:55PM
VDX
... here's a fast sketch to show the difference between common fixature and clamping inside of a split extrusion:

[attachment 104635 Splitextrusion.png]

Cool! I didn't know anyone made split extrusions. I'd love to buy some, or do you mean I'd have to modify or make my own?

Right now I'm just leaning toward doing it the common way, to have holes drilled through the extrusions that match up to holes in the bottom side of the rail, since this is something that Misumi can do I believe easily enough.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2018 04:02PM by klcjr89.
April 28, 2018 08:58PM
While I wait for materials to arrive from Misumi, this is what I have rendered:

Platen bolted from the bottom to Misumi 40x40 milled face extrusions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2018 09:15PM by klcjr89.
VDX
April 29, 2018 10:01AM
... there are different types of rails and fixation methodes - "slim" ones with tapped bores, bigger ones with pocket holes without threads:

Viktor
--------

April 29, 2018 10:05AM
VDX
... there are different types of rails and fixation methodes - "slim" ones with tapped bores, bigger ones with pocket holes without threads:

[attachment 104647 fixingrailstoextrusion.png]

Those would seem rare to find than what's available.
VDX
April 29, 2018 11:25AM
...sure? - have both types (and some others too) in different linear feeding setups.

Here one with tapped bores:

- and here with pocket holes on a Delta:

Viktor
--------

April 29, 2018 11:27AM
VDX
...sure? - have both types (and some others too) in different linear feeding setups.

Here one with tapped bores:

The counterbore ones are the standard and are easy to find (MGN), but the tapered bore ones not as so, which is what I meant. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login