Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

e3d Titan extruder steps per mm settings don't do anything

Posted by fullHundo 
e3d Titan extruder steps per mm settings don't do anything
March 18, 2018 02:55PM
My e3d Titan extruder is greatly under-extruding. E3d says that because the extruder uses a specific motor with a specific gear ratio, they recommend 837 steps/mm. When I tell it to put out 100mm at 837 steps/mm, it only extrudes ~65mm of filament. I followed Tom's guide on calibrating the steps per mm setting for the extruder motor and changed it to 1287 steps/mm (837/100*65=1287). I did the test again and still got ~65mm extruded. It seems like no matter what I change this value to, the motor output does not change. What am I doing wrong? Could this be an issue with low voltage settings on the potentiometer? I've had this problem for months and I'm tired of compensating in the slicer.
Re: e3d Titan extruder steps per mm settings don't do anything
March 18, 2018 03:15PM
I bet you have a Ramps/Mega Combo with Eeprom activated and forgot to update the eeprom after flashing?!
If not, what else did you do to change the e-steps?
March 18, 2018 03:21PM
You're almost exactly right. I'm using an mks base 1.5 board which is just a glorified ramps/mega setup. I did not know to update the eeprom settings after flashing. How do I do this?
March 18, 2018 10:52PM
I checked the firmware and I currently have EEPROM disabled. Does this change the problem? I will enable it and see if it changes anything. The only thing I have done so far to address the problem is changing the E0 value of #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT in Marlin to multiple different values with no effect.

These are my current values:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 400, 1287 }

The only other approach to fixing this problem that comes close to helping is increasing the extrusion multiplier in the slicer, but I would like to get the machine itself to function properly without this workaround.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2018 11:09PM by fullHundo.
March 19, 2018 12:43AM
Enabling EEPROM then sending an M502 command to set the configuration.h settings in memory fixed the problem. The extruder is now working great at 837 steps/mm. Thanks for the help, o_lampe!
March 19, 2018 04:19AM
Good to hear!
Just for the record: The best way to avoid Eeprom issues is to erase Eeprom first, before flashing new Marlin FW. There is a sample program in every ArduinoIDE with a self explaining name.
Then after flashing, send M502 & M500 to read out the new parameters and store them in Eeprom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login