Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motors not Moving

Posted by BradyL 
Stepper Motors not Moving
February 21, 2019 11:40AM
Hi all, I am building my own 3D printer using a Ramps 1.5 and Arduino Mega ADK board. I put the jumpers in, connected it to 12v 5A power supply, and when I connect my stepper motors they all bind up, if I take out the driver for a specific motor it won’t bind up. I checked the leads and both the drivers and motors are receiving 12 volts, my drivers are in correctly and I can even heat my extruded up, so I don’t think it’s a problem with the board. I changed the code in Marlin so that it recognizes my drivers as they are different from the default ones. Also when I go into Marlin and move an axis the motor unbinds and is free moving, if ANYONE can help me please I just can’t figure out what is wrong, thanks.
Re: Stepper Motors not Moving
February 22, 2019 09:15AM
Anyone? I can't figure this out
February 22, 2019 04:47PM
Could it be, that your ENABLE signals for the stepper drivers are inverted?

Configuration.h:
// For Inverting Stepper Enable Pins (Active Low) use 0, Non Inverting (Active High) use 1
// :{ 0:'Low', 1:'High' }
#define X_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Y_ENABLE_ON 0
#define Z_ENABLE_ON 0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 04:48PM by enif.
February 22, 2019 04:53PM
I’m not home right now, but I’m guessing those should be 1 instead of 0
February 22, 2019 06:48PM
It depends on your stepper drivers, most pololu type drivers are active low.
February 22, 2019 08:26PM
I am using bipolar NEMA 17 motors with polulo DRV8825 stepper drivers, the purple ones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 08:28PM by BradyL.
February 22, 2019 09:20PM
DRV8825 are active low devices
February 24, 2019 02:13PM
They were set to 1, I changed them all to 0 but when I try to upload the new firmware I get this error message for my Conditionals_LCD.h file for literally every line

expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before numeric constant

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
February 24, 2019 02:59PM
Given that Conditionals_LCD.h is included just after Configuration.h, it looks as if you have changed something else than just the 1s to 0s in your Configuration.h. Double-check your changes...
If you don't find the problem, post your modified Configuration.h here so we can have a look look at it.
February 24, 2019 04:22PM
What I found to work is just copying the default Conditionals_LCD.h into mine and now everything works, the motors finally spin, thanks guys!
April 23, 2019 03:41AM
1. Neither stepping motor turns. Consider the power circuit. Control signal input circuit, because the motor circuit problem can be basically eliminated.

2. The power problem is also relatively simple. Cut off the power supply V+ and V- of a group of drivers. General power aging.

3. The wiring problem is much more complicated. But it is also very intuitive, there is no occasional failure before the problem occurs. It's the machine that comes and goes. If so, you can be 100% sure of the problem.

4. Signal problems are more complex, but the probability of no two pulses is less. If one pulse controls two drivers, such problems are more common.

5. Emergency stop switch problem. If the emergency stop switch is broken, the motor will not move.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login